5804 replies to this topic

#5801 jamie

jamie

ruined former youth seeking atonement

• Salty Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8244 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 03:16 AM

I played Persona 5 too, because I liked 4. I didn't like Persona 5 very much, although I completed it so it kept my attention anyway, although for stupid reasons in the end.

It starts off pretty well with all the Kamoshida stuff. I thought that was going to be the way of it as it went along, but none of the other villains were interesting to me. I dunno if the game gets worse as it goes along or if I just slowly realised I didn't like it. The writing is really bad, but not in an entertaining way. It's just extremely repetitive, clunky and a lot of the time barely even makes sense on a phrase to phrase level because the translation is so bad. The central concept is busted for a few reasons. Like you said Hundley, the antagonists are just a bunch of shitty people. They've got no depth to them except that they are bad, 'shitty adults'.  None of the villains have an interesting arc because they all proceed like so - 1. bad adult is doing a crime. 2. the phantom thieves go through a dungeon while the adult taunts them. 3. the phantom thieves beat the bad adult and then the adult has a personality transplant and now they are a good person and then they disappear forever from the game. it's just flat, doesn't reallly go anywhere. The thief element doesn't have any relevance to the rest of the mythology or story, either. The game barely even remembers to include 'treasure' that you steal to 'change a persons heart' later on in the game, because it's been irrelevant from the start. It doesn't really fit, there's no coherence.

So they were fighting against all of that to keep the game engaging, but they didn't do it. The characters are just a mix of anime archetypes, and like I mentioned, the writing is just so bad it's hard to care about any of them. The thrust of the story is that these pure hearted teens want to change Japanese society for the better but it never goes into depth on what the problems are or why they exist, it just presents you with a series of one dimensional stock villains and then at the end you fight a god who talks utter nonsense.

I dunno why I liked Persona 4 so much, but I remember having a good time with it. I guess the characters in that one came off as more human than this one, which feels like a product targeted towards an audience who wants what they are used to and has a juvenile perspective on everything it takes to do with. The problems for me with it are big like the entire premise just being dogshit, medium like the romance stories being perfunctory and ugly, and small like the battle system not really being interesting enough to sustain the length of the game. I can't think of many things to say that I liked about it, except some of the music (there isn't enough music in the game though, a bunch of songs get played relentlessly).

I thought it was going to be some good dumb and good-natured fun, but it was mostly just boring.

#5802 pineappo

pineappo

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationDendy dungeon

Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:31 AM

Lots of Japanese works have the good or bad guys talk about BIG PROBLEMS IN JAPAN TODAY and as far as I can tell they generally mean some or all of these:

1. too much technology

2. introversion, people can't connect anymore (see 1)

3. globalization eroding our past / foreign devils !!!!

Did you feel like P5 thematically broke from that?

#5803 jamie

jamie

ruined former youth seeking atonement

• Salty Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8244 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 11:46 AM

It doesn't even get that specific, really. The big problems is just that adults are corrupt and do bad things. They manage to have 2 major characters make several political speeches without touching on any political issue at all, except that adults are corrupt and that's got to stop.

#5804 pineappo

pineappo

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationDendy dungeon

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:55 PM

Huh, how strange - ...Do Japanese students of the characters' ages actually play Persona games in a significant proportion? I suppose they must but I never got the impression the series was aiming itself towards kids. But that does sound like the sort of nebulous commentary you'd see in kid's media.

#5805 DDay

DDay

Dead man

• Salty Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3934 posts
  • LocationDead man

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:02 PM

I think Persona 5's S.Links are week but man it has style... As game it's good but the story was week and I feel there is no good S.link I liked... Here is my Brake down of the 3 persona games I played.

Persona 3- Has the darkest story Compared to Persona 4 or 5 (which I like) but suffers from pacing issues.

Persona 4- Has some of the Best S.links that flush out the characters but I feel the overall Story is the weakest and it's the least Darkest story (Example only one person dies in this game). Due to the weak story tho stakes are high for the protagonist and friends but not high compared to the other 2 persona games I played. If you can't tell I like this persona game the least but at least they fixed the pacing issues.

Persona 5- Has Style and Plays well and I honestly think this should be the standard on how to make RPG menus. It's a proud game, That embracing it's past and puts it proudly on display, other then it forgot how to make good S.links, but I would say it's a darker then 4 and I like that. but I feel after the first two bosses the next few bosses get more in the gray territory(Like CEO Treating Employees like crap) kind of put in to question why do I want to do this, sure the main cast has motive to do so, but the player is not moved to do so... it's the weakest part of 5. At least the finale Palace is good in terms of story other the dungeon is long and boring and it also calls into question the traitor (not a spoiler since it announced in the begin of the game) motives are week, but I will admit I kind of feel sorry for him. I also didn't like the final 2 bosses and tho the OST is good, I find myself only loving one song and that is River in a Desert.

DDay is Dead  I am a dead man typing

DDay22.png?1386551622784

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users