#1 the bloddy ghost

the bloddy ghost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 5525 posts
  • Locationgay

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:54 AM

Posted Image

What is the best processor that will work with my socket type? I have a really shitty one right now. also, will I need to replace my power supply if I get a faster processor?
has a girl in his bed. pot in his pipe and family guy on the tube. i like life

#2 Barack Obama

Barack Obama

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 4725 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:45 AM

what's youre current power supply wattage and how much are you looking to spend?

you could throw a quad core phenom in there if you really wanted to, but it could be unnecessary depending on what it is you do with your computer. Are you doing serious compiling/AV production/media stuff on your computer or what? I'd say just go with an athlon 64 X2 in there for about 50-75 bucks and you'd probably be fine without switching out your power supply or anything.

Posted Image

#3 the bloddy ghost

the bloddy ghost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 5525 posts
  • Locationgay

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:31 PM

i'm mostly going to be using this computer for gaming, some coding, and light media stuff. I just don't want any trouble running games because of my processor. my video card is great, it's just the processor I think that is bringing things down and making them run slow. does athlon 64 x2 support sse4?

are there any benchmarks that compare my cpu to an athlon 64 x2?  I have a 400 or 500watt power supply. That'll do fine, right?

#4 Mama Luigi

Mama Luigi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4719 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:00 PM

I'm guessing AM64-X2 supports sse4... AM64 processor are very modern and I don't see why they'd lack it.

400 watt is a bit low if you have a nice newer video card in there, but 500w is definitely acceptable.

I'd say get an AMD 6000+ as those consistently show to be great performers at a very reasonable price. I haven't exactly been following AMD lately so I'm sure someone will have a better recommendation.

#5 something bizarre and impractical

something bizarre and impractical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3873 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:03 PM

No, I was going to recommend the exact same thing.
Posted Image

#6 Barack Obama

Barack Obama

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 4725 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:03 PM

i'm mostly going to be using this computer for gaming, some coding, and light media stuff. I just don't want any trouble running games because of my processor. my video card is great, it's just the processor I think that is bringing things down and making them run slow. does athlon 64 x2 support sse4?

are there any benchmarks that compare my cpu to an athlon 64 x2?  I have a 400 or 500watt power supply. That'll do fine, right?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103678 this is probably what you'll want. As far as I know KUMA is the only dual core AMD chip for desktops that supports SSE4(if wikipedia is correct) and Your power supply is fine.

Posted Image

#7 the bloddy ghost

the bloddy ghost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 5525 posts
  • Locationgay

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:17 AM

AM2(940) is AM2+? It says that I need it in order for it to work.

#8 Barack Obama

Barack Obama

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 4725 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:05 AM

i thought AM2+ were compatible with AM2, but it might be the other way around(am2+ boards can accept am2 chips)

in that case get the 6000+, you'll need a whole new motherboard to use an sse4 chip and I don't think you'll notice much of a difference in anything so save yourself the money

Posted Image

#9 goat

goat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1675 posts
  • LocationOhio, United States

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:23 PM

i thought AM2+ were compatible with AM2, but it might be the other way around(am2+ boards can accept am2 chips)

in that case get the 6000+, you'll need a whole new motherboard to use an sse4 chip and I don't think you'll notice much of a difference in anything so save yourself the money

AM2 does work on AM2+ and vice versa, you just get more features from an AM2+ proc and AM2+ mobo like power saving and faster hypertransport.

I would also say that the Athlon 6000 is a solid choice, unless your motherboard supports the new Phenoms and you would want to spend that much more. Make sure to look up your motherboard's list of compatible processors first just to be safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users