Photo

Why do people change the names of borrowed music when they use it in a game?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Terrorantula

Terrorantula

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 1157 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:02 AM

I don't know about anyone else but I often find it rather strange and annoying when I find a familiar game tune in an indie project file with a different name.   :mad:
I don't quite understand why people do it- are they trying to take credit for the song (which seems dishonest), remind themselves who it's associated with, prevent others from finding out which unfamiliar tunes in their game are original and which are reused - what? I cold understand a personal remix being renamed or a midi, but I don't quite see the point.
Everyone has the right to be himself; wise men know how to,when, and whether to navigate the boundary between their rights and those of others when they collide.

#2 Pipcaptor Hatsuya

Pipcaptor Hatsuya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1195 posts
  • LocationRepublic of the Philippines

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:23 AM

Maybe for sake of organization and naming them according how will their game will be or something.

In the Works:
[RM2K3::SFF-RPG] Wailing Mongooses in Gildepazzo

Under Hiatus/Literary Work mode:
[Lit/Rm2k3 :: Interactive Drama] NetGame Saga PROTOTYPE
[RMXP :: RPG] NetGame Saga

#3 The Dude

The Dude

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 3274 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:32 AM

Back when I did it, it was purely for organisation, especially if I was using Song X for a character's theme song or something. Plus, numbering the songs in the list is a lot easier to keep track of. At first I just left the file names alone. It was confusing as frack to deal with.

Also, knowing this will never meet a market where this sort of thing really matters; it never crossed my mind. I was already using ripped graphics and all that crap.
"Chill" -Gov'ner Arnold Schwarzenegger

#4 Terrorantula

Terrorantula

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 1157 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:57 AM

That makes sense... but...  oh well. :fogetshrug:
Everyone has the right to be himself; wise men know how to,when, and whether to navigate the boundary between their rights and those of others when they collide.

#5 Ocean's Dream

Ocean's Dream

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 3291 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:11 PM

I've usually always tried to compose the songs for my games, but if I do get outside songs, I'll either keep the original midi title (even if it's something weird like 1121johnremixFF2.mid) or I'll rename it to the situation I'm using for, purely so that I can either: A) Replace it with a new song later (by calling it the same name and overwriting it) or B) Just simply remember what I used the song for so I don't keep around songs that I'm not using. I'm verrrry forgetful.

#6 Chipotle

Chipotle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1163 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:22 AM

letting the player know exactly what final fantasy midis they use is not really on a developer's list of priorities
-AznChipmunk
---
<Psyburn> aznchipmunk can you stop being a gook
<Psyburn> and be a VIETNAMESE

#7 Brent Murray

Brent Murray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1427 posts
  • LocationSurrey, B.C.

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:02 AM

(Don't take any offence to this...) But really, who ****in cares!?  :fogethuh:

It's the same thing with OH GWDS --- ANIMES!?!?!?!?!?!?  :fogetbackflip:

Posted Image
Happy 1st Anniversary - MONOPOLO!
Released April 2nd, 2009 - Right Here, On GW!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8 Terrorantula

Terrorantula

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 1157 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:55 PM

I guess I was worried about copyright, etc- though considering many of us are using pirate programs i guess that's moot.

#9 JMickle

JMickle

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 2673 posts
  • Locationburied in sand

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:52 PM

if they did that with my music i'd slap them

#10 Maximo

Maximo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 640 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:35 PM

Developers don't expect most players to go in and check what song was used in the game, but even if they did it doesn't really matter much. Sucks for the music producer and I'd be mad if I made the music, but really, what can you do lol
Put some sand in my roommate's sheets today... :gwa:

#11 Gongo

Gongo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:38 PM

I rename the music so i know what song is for what, such as a song for a certain town or a characters theme, infact as i look though all the RM games i have they to seem to follow this trend, and besides the name of the song doesn't even matter, it doesn't show up in the game and most players don't look at the names of files so who cares.
Posted Image

#12 Mince Wobley

Mince Wobley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4828 posts
  • LocationI'll never eat an airplane

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:37 PM

I rename the music tracks in my games to 0, 1, 2 etc to make the final game .rar smaller

Another reason is that that the musician I use likes to name his mp3's hjjjkhjkkl.mp3 untitled45878.mp3 and so on, that makes it more likely to make a typo when trying to call game.playbgm("hjlkjhj.mp3") than if I did game.playbgm("0.mp3")
Play Raimond Ex (if you haven't already)

I'll not TAKE ANYTHING you write like this seriously because it looks dumb

#13 IceManual5580

IceManual5580

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 390 posts
  • LocationNash

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:57 PM

because i dont give a fuck about copy right and licensing

. .  .   salty is right

#14 Nessiah

Nessiah

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 4195 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:51 AM

I change it because it's easier to input it in code ._.
like Play bgm ("01.ogg") or something like that.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 Mince Wobley

Mince Wobley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4828 posts
  • LocationI'll never eat an airplane

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:54 AM

I'm glad your reason is the same as mine
Play Raimond Ex (if you haven't already)

I'll not TAKE ANYTHING you write like this seriously because it looks dumb

#16 Maxximum

Maxximum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:23 AM

I think Ocean already mentioned this but renaming the files not only makes it easier for you to keep track of them but more importantly makes them easy to replace. Imagine you are nearly done with a large game and decide that you want a different hero theme song. You would now have to go through every event that calls the specific file and replace it. While using the naming method you simply overwrite the existing file with a new one and the events stay in tact. There are other ways to avoid this kind of thing without tampering with the file names but this really is the easiest and most manageable way to do it.

#17 Terrorantula

Terrorantula

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 1157 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:41 AM

I kinda thought this topic was dead already.  I just changed the title of an item I stuck in a game anyway, plus i noted it often lists the original source in the track list, so no biggie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users