ATTENTION ANYONE FROM PHILLY OR EAST PA OR NORTHEAST MD/DELAWARE OR MID TO SOUTH EAST NJ
I'm trying to facilitate a real space traveling (potentially) D.I.Y. arcade in near center city Philadelphia. What does this entail? It entails getting a handful of way independent game developers to participate in this arcade by creating a game, creating or decorating a cabinet for it, helping install it at the show.
Unfortunately, I don't know anyone else in the area besides myself that creates games, SO please speak up if you would like to! I think i saw a few of you in the early sw jam halloween page...?
So basically I'm looking for some other developers for this. I know I can get the space for it, and I know I can make an event out of it (beers, bands, maybe some cool talks, etc.)... The goal would be to promote and educate about the population about the underground indie videogame scene while hopefully creating some kind of community to support and facilitate future events.
Scratch all that. I guess my ranting is hard to understand. Let me clarify.
I'm looking to create an ALL ORIGINAL CONTENT arcade. In other words, I'm looking to facilitate the creation of an exhibit which is composed of a bunch of arcade cabinets loaded up with games created by super-small time indie developers like you and I. My goal is to install this arcade at a local music venue in Philadelphia where people can play games, and donate money to the creators while they listen to some awesome rock bands and what not.
I'm looking for more game developers who are interested in creating and exhibiting their game in such a manner:
- create a game (most likely include gamepads to get that arcade feel)
- load it onto a junky old laptop
- build an arcade cabinet to hide all of the laptop besides the screen and gamepads. paint or draw awesome game related art on the cabinet (optional)
- Bring your creation to the exhibit premier. Install and decorate your booth.
- come to the opening night and schmooze with everyone who shows up. Openning night will most likely include 3 or 4 bands, alcohol, some kind of videogame related speech by someone, and some other junk. let's brainstorm.
- either take these installation to other venues, or take them home.
- do all this again in another few months, hopefully building a strong community in the process
YOU OUT THERE? LET'S TALK.
also, it isn't like this hasn't been done before... check this out (especially if you are in new york city): babycastles.com