• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Niitaka

Niitaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:45 PM

This has been all around the tech world since yesterday so let's talk about it.

Every year, a consumer electronics trade show is held in Las Vegas. Attendees go to see the latest technology that the various big companies are planning to release that year - a preview, if you will. This also serves as important publicity as favorable impressions at the show result in higher exposure to the general public.

Gizmodo is a well-known blog that makes over 50 posts a day. Their posts are often immature but due to their sheer volume and breadth many people still read it to keep up with the latest. This year they decided to pull a prank by bringing TV-B-Gone remotes (which allows you to turn off TVs from most brands through IR signals) and shutting off dozens of TVs at the show.

My first reaction was that this was a funny trick. Then I realized that first of all, they didn't build this thing. They just brought one along. So there goes your "Wow that's a clever thing to do" geek reaction. And second, this is the CES. This isn't like walking into an electronics store and shutting off a wall of TVs just so you can watch the staff scramble to fix it while you pat yourself on the back for being "clever" and giggle. People, both attendees and companies, paid exorbitant amounts of money to be there, and the prank affected many presentations and live demos that were really important to them.

I really would not be surprised if Gizmodo gets sued over this. Seriously, this is high-school level shit. Have some professionalism.

Edit: Oh, also, link.

#2 Ragnar

Ragnar

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 11780 posts
  • Location[color=red][size=25pt][B]??????[/B][/size][/color]

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:53 PM

Well to be honest I would love to do that at a Radio Shack - or one of those TV-specific stores because they seem kind of seedy and weird to me

#3 GirlBones

GirlBones

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 3118 posts
  • LocationTucson AZ USA

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:55 PM

Another dick in the anus that is corporate greed. I say GOOD GOING, gizmodo, even if they did intend it as a prank and not an artistic/political statement.

Fuck the government

fuck to corporations
boop oop a doop

#4 General Robert E. Lee

General Robert E. Lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1892 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:56 PM

TVs are computers now?
Admiral Robert E Lee: From an alternate reality in which the United States is an archipelago and the Civil War is fought at sea.

#5 Mince Wobley

Mince Wobley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4828 posts
  • LocationI'll never eat an airplane

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:01 PM

I agree with this eco-terrorist-like action, everyday millions upon millions of megawatts are wasted with energy wasting arrangements of TVs like those. If anyone should be sued it's people who keep a lot of TVs turned on at the same time.
Play Raimond Ex (if you haven't already)

I'll not TAKE ANYTHING you write like this seriously because it looks dumb

#6 ase

ase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 7691 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:08 PM

The video was kind of funny but yeah they will probably get their asses sued now. I'm sure it's not worth it to pull a prank like that and then get fined tens of thousands of dollars!

#7 The Ghost

The Ghost

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 1801 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:09 PM

You know, i just found out that Man-O-War is a type of jellyfish yesterday.

It was a very profounding find for me and brought tears to my eyes. I didn't really look it up either, was helping a family member with her project on jellyfishes.

[hide]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Man_o'_War[/hide]

On Topic:

Why are you so offended Niitaka? It almosts sound like you took this personally.

#8 Ragnar

Ragnar

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 11780 posts
  • Location[color=red][size=25pt][B]??????[/B][/size][/color]

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:18 PM

It was a very profounding find for me and brought tears to my eyes. I didn't really look it up either, was helping a family member with her project on jellyfishes.

I found out from this http://www.realmofda.../dw2manowar.htm

of course, I was like 3 at the time

Also lol http://manowarapproaches.ytmnd.com/

#9 dom

dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2503 posts
  • Location~ PARAMORE ~

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:10 PM

lol thats hilarious

Posted Image

#10 Sludgelord

Sludgelord

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 3083 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:31 PM

ahahaha they turned off fatal1ty's computer while he was playing. what a fucking faggot.

#11 Xeno|Soft

Xeno|Soft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 6166 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:36 PM

Another dick in the anus that is corporate greed. I say GOOD GOING, gizmodo, even if they did intend it as a prank and not an artistic/political statement.

Fuck the government

fuck to corporations

are you joking? Because what the hell does this have to do with corprate greed? Infact, companies like those hardly have moral problems that would be a negative "greed" The companies you should worry about that are greedy are the ones that responsible for taking care of you like car insurance, Health Insurance..etc.

I agree with this eco-terrorist-like action, everyday millions upon millions of megawatts are wasted with energy wasting arrangements of TVs like those. If anyone should be sued it's people who keep a lot of TVs turned on at the same time.

Yeah, I have to agree a lot of energy is being used, however it is not wasted. It is used to advertise, which is a great strategy. Also they pay for the bill, not anyone else so I really have a hard time hating them for it.

I thought this was funny as hell, lol.

#12 dom

dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2503 posts
  • Location~ PARAMORE ~

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:46 PM

Yeah, I have to agree a lot of energy is being used, however it is not wasted. It is used to advertise, which is a great strategy. Also they pay for the bill, not anyone else so I really have a hard time hating them for it.

not wasted?

and you think paying the bill has any impact on whether or not it's a waste of energy?

Posted Image

#13 Sarah

Sarah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 6391 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:47 PM

The girl in the video said BONKO NUTSO and I wished so badly I could've been there just for that.

#14 Shadow Kirby

Shadow Kirby

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 4579 posts
  • LocationLavaltrie,Quebec,Canada

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:50 PM

Fuck the government

fuck to corporations

Yeah, fuck authority!

*burns a police station and rocks out*
Check out my blog: Press A to Jump

#15 Xeno|Soft

Xeno|Soft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 6166 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:02 PM

not wasted?

and you think paying the bill has any impact on whether or not it's a waste of energy?

what? when did I say that? your using a very stupid debating tactic in which you choose what words you want to acknowledge in a statement by another party to come to a very inaccurate conclusion.

#16 Wil

Wil

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:02 PM

I thought it was funny.

and I liked the girl that said WACKO MACKO!!!
sorrow is the key that gets our tears out of eye jail.

#17 dom

dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2503 posts
  • Location~ PARAMORE ~

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:04 PM

[quote author=Xeno|Soft link=topic=68198.msg1232378#msg1232378 date=1200088926]
what? when did I say that?
[/quote]
[quote name='Xeno|Soft]Yeah' date=' I have to agree a lot of energy is being used, however it is not wasted. It is used to advertise, which is a great strategy. Also they pay for the bill, not anyone else so I really have a hard time hating them for it.[/quote']

1. the energy is being wasted since most of these TVs are effectively useless even if its for advertisement. you dont need that many tvs.
2. what does them paying the bill have to do with anything? why wouldn't you hate someone wasting energy just because they're paying the bill?

Posted Image

#18 something bizarre and impractical

something bizarre and impractical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3873 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:11 PM

On Topic:

Why are you so offended Niitaka? It almosts sound like you took this personally.

"is commonly thought of as a jellyfish but is actually a siphonophore—a colony of specialized polyps and medusoids."

l2r

Also yeah, I'm torn between "DIE CORPORATE SCUM" and the feeling that it was kind of immature and unfunny.
Posted Image

#19 Xeno|Soft

Xeno|Soft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 6166 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:15 PM

1. the energy is being wasted since most of these TVs are effectively useless even if its for advertisement. you dint need that many TVs.
2. what does them paying the bill have to do with anything? why wouldn't you hate someone wasting energy just because they're paying the bill?

1. I see you know a lot about advertisement right? Even I, who is trying to get into the advertisement business can't tell you the effectiveness of this method of advertisement, and you can? I can't say something is useless unless I know about it And I can't say what people want or need. They chose to have 12 TVs as their display because that's how it was setup for there purpose. It is not waste as long has it has a reason.

however I can tell you that, a STORE selling TVs that has a display at its windows showcasing 12 TVs on and running will draw a whole lot more attention than a store that has one TV at the store window.

What is a WATS is going out to dinner and leaving the T.V. in your room on, where it has no purpose.

2. Look at the person I quoted, he implies a strong dislike for people who waste energy, I simply stated I personally can't really hate someone who buys something and uses it as he sees fit (even if he is wasting it.) and Why the hell would I HATE someone for "wasting" energy? I could understand if Energy was some RARE resource and he bought all of it and is just wasting, but no one is doing that.

#20 Vellfire

Vellfire

TV people want to leave

• Salty Members
  • 14593 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:17 PM

HAHAHAHA LOOK THEIR TVS ARE OFF

This is what 11 year olds do.  What a dumb prank.

I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users