dada

VILLAIN

• Administrators
  • 17464 posts
  • Locationsuperhell

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:13 PM

Posted Image

http://news.bbc.co.u...ope/7195840.stm

The controversial former world chess champion, Bobby Fischer, has died in Iceland at the age of 64.

The US-born player, who became famous for beating Cold War Soviet rival Boris Spassky in 1972, died of an unspecified illness, his spokesman said.

Bobby Fischer, one of my heroes, passed away today at the age of 64. He was one of the greatest chess players in the world, beating his opponents with unprecedented numbers during the world championship in 1972. The road to his world championship match was paved with zeros for his opponents, even in the candidates' matches; something that never happened before throughout the game's history and has since never happened again. His victory over Boris Spassky made him an American hero, one who beat the Soviets at a game they had dominated for a quarter century at that time.

After his famous victory, he refused to defend his title against Anatoly Karpov in 1975, and lost his title by default. It turns out that move 40...h5 during his last game versus Spassky had been the last official move he'd ever make. He had beaten every single opponent before him, and was able to do it again, but there just wasn't anything in it for him anymore. He had beaten the world before. The world had become uninteresting.

He vanished from the public eye for 20 years. In 1992, he resurfaced briefly to play a match against his old rival Spassky in Yugoslavia, despite a UN embargo that included sanctions on sporting events. He was actually warned by the US Department of Treasury that it would be illegal for him to play this match due to the embargo; in front of the international press, Fischer was filmed spitting on the order that forbid him to play. He won the match and over 3 million USD, and as a result had an arrest warrant obtained for him by the Department of Treasury.

Nine years later, right after the September 11 attacks, he was interviewed on a Philippine radio station and proclaimed "the White House and Pentagon have been attacked. This is all wonderful news." He called for the death of George W. Bush and insisted that the US government then "execute hundreds of thousands of American Jewish leaders", "arrest all the Jews", and "close all synagogues". Fischer had been a strong anti-semite for a long time, and had claimed often times that the source of his misfortunes was a Jewish conspiracy. His mother was Jewish.

In 2004, he was arrested at a Japanese airport near Tokyo for trying to take a flight to the Philippines with an invalid passport. Still wanted by the United States, Fischer was now suddenly in a position where he could be extradited to his home country, despite not having actually violated Japanese law. After a lot of political discussion that's too boring to describe, he managed to get Iceland to offer him an alien's passport. This proved to be insufficient for the Japanese authorities, and thus Icelandic officials decided to provide him full citizenship for humanitarian reasons, stating their belief that the United States had singled him out for his political statements.

And so he became a naturalized Icelander. Iceland is crazy about chess, and Fischer's arrival was welcomed by a crowd.

Unfortunately, he had been suffering from kidney problems the past couple of months. The details were private and thus difficult to verify. Einar Einarsson, the chairman of a Fischer support group in Iceland, stated "he was not a man who wanted to seek medical attention. He didn't believe in Western medicine."

As I said, Fischer was one of my heroes. He had a very imaginative play style, and had shown himself to be capable of defeating some of the top players with humiliating numbers. He first beat Mark Taimanov with a ridiculous 6-0. The defeat was so stunning that poor Taimanov was sanctioned by the Soviet government due to their thinking he had deliberately lost the match so badly due to an underlying political motive. However, they changed their minds after Fischer defeated three-time world champion candidate Bent Larsen with the same incredible 6-0 score. Obviously, Fischer was simply too good for anyone to compete with. This kind of difference in quality had never been seen before, and would never be seen again. Fischer was a phenomenon, one who immortalized himself and solidified the status of chess as a game for professionals during that world championship tournament.

I'm really saddened by this. It actually gave me a brief feeling of mortality. There are more people who I consider to be heroes, and they too are of age by now. It's kind of strange when a person like that dies. You just don't consider of the fact that they too are only human.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS.

EDIT: and PLEASE don't reply with "checkmate". That is seriously lame. And we know that there are 64 squares on a chess board, so there's no need to inform anybody.

#2 Rone Rivendale

Rone Rivendale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1153 posts
  • LocationKansas, USA

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:38 PM

Would have been interesting if Fischer had gone against Deep Blue.

Honestly I didn't even know he was still alive, he's such a private figure.
Peace and Love

#3 General Robert E. Lee

General Robert E. Lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1892 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:44 PM

Nine years later, right after the September 11 attacks, he was interviewed on a Philippine radio station and proclaimed "the White House and Pentagon have been attacked. This is all wonderful news." He called for the death of George W. Bush and insisted that the US government then "execute hundreds of thousands of American Jewish leaders", "arrest all the Jews", and "close all synagogues". Fischer had been a strong anti-semite for a long time, and had claimed often times that the source of his misfortunes was a Jewish conspiracy. His mother was Jewish.

Wow, what a dick.  I can't say I'm going to miss such a hateful person.
Admiral Robert E Lee: From an alternate reality in which the United States is an archipelago and the Civil War is fought at sea.

#4 Kaworu

Kaworu

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 17123 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:47 PM

but duede... THE JEWS... THE JEWS!

this guy sounds like one opf the people I would loved to have followed if I had heard about him before today. He seems so random and ncrazy.

#5 Artis Leon Ivey Jr

Artis Leon Ivey Jr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 20067 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:49 PM

As I said, Fischer was one of my heroes. He had a very imaginative play style, and had shown himself to be capable of defeating some of the top players with humiliating numbers. He first beat Mark Taimanov with a ridiculous 6-0. The defeat was so stunning that poor Taimanov was sanctioned by the Soviet government due to their thinking he had deliberately lost the match so badly due to an underlying political motive. However, they changed their minds after Fischer defeated three-time world champion candidate Bent Larsen with the same incredible 6-0 score. Obviously, Fischer was simply too good for anyone to compete with. This kind of difference in quality had never been seen before, and would never be seen again. Fischer was a phenomenon, one who immortalized himself and solidified the status of chess as a game for professionals during that world championship tournament.

I'm really saddened by this. It actually gave me a brief feeling of mortality. There are more people who I consider to be heroes, and they too are of age by now. It's kind of strange when a person like that dies. You just don't consider of the fact that they too are only human.

are you KIDDING ME.

Fischer was a fucking monster. he claimed that women were too stupid to play chess and he was vocally anti-semitic and hateful. the majority of chess players distance themselves from him because he's an odious little prick who deserved to die alone and ostracized, as he did.

I respect his chess abilities but he's nothing but a worthless thug as far as anything else goes, and while I wouldn't say good riddance, I certainly find it ridiculous that you'd call him a hero while purposefully ignoring a history full of hatred and bigotry just because he's good at a board game (albeit a very difficult one).
brian chemicals

#6 Artis Leon Ivey Jr

Artis Leon Ivey Jr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 20067 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:57 PM

"There is no United States as people think of it. It's just a puppet in the Jew's hands. It's a plaything for the Jews."

"I'm very concerned because I think the Jews want to drive the elephants to extinction ... because the trunk of an elephant reminds them of an uncircumcised penis. ... I'm absolutely serious about that."

"Almost everyone who has been around me turned out to be a secret agent working for the Jews, working for the CIA... The Jews have planted so many of their Jew agents and CIA rats all around me. So many people... Girlfriends, lawyers, everybody almost, turned out to be working for the CIA and the Jews! Unbelievable but true."

"They're all weak, all women. They're stupid compared to men. They shouldn't play chess, you know. They're like beginners. They lose every single game against a man. There isn't a woman player in the world I can't give knight-odds to and still beat."

"You don't learn anything in school. It's just a waste of time. You lug around books and all and do homework. They give too much homework. You shouldn't be doing homework. Nobody's interested in it. The teachers are stupid. They shouldn't have any women in there. They don't know how to teach. And they shouldn't make anyone go to school. You don't want to go, you don't go, that's all. It's ridiculous. I don't remember one thing I learned in school. I don't listen to weakies. My two and a half years in Erasmus High I wasted. I didn't like the whole thing. You have to mix with all those stupid kids. The teachers are even stupider than the kids. They talk down to the kids. Half of them are crazy. If they'd have let me, I would have quit before I was sixteen."

Hey Bobby Fischer maybe you should have gone to school and learned some class:sport:
brian chemicals

#7 dada

dada

VILLAIN

• Administrators
  • 17464 posts
  • Locationsuperhell

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:59 PM

are you KIDDING ME.

Fischer was a fucking monster. he claimed that women were too stupid to play chess and he was vocally anti-semitic and hateful. the majority of chess players distance themselves from him because he's an odious little prick who deserved to die alone and ostracized, as he did.

I respect his chess abilities but he's nothing but a worthless thug as far as anything else goes, and while I wouldn't say good riddance, I certainly find it ridiculous that you'd call him a hero while purposefully ignoring a history full of hatred and bigotry just because he's good at a board game (albeit a very difficult one).

I don't really care what you think. He was a tragic figure, I don't deny that, but I also believe that he was crazy and it's hard to take someone like that seriously in any case.

But it's not just the fact he was good at board game, it's that he carried it to unprecedented heights. He was the one who truly invented the phenomenon of professional chess. He's had more of an impact on the game than anybody else in the world.

And that's the reason why he was one of my heroes.

EDIT: and you can go on a tirade about how terrible a person he was and how I should not be allowed to admire him for anything. It won't change anything for me. He was a difficult individual and terribly paranoid, blaming everybody else for his problems and constantly reiterating how good he was.

He wasn't a very good person, but you'd be surprised at how shocked the chess world is. Everybody's going to miss Bobby Fischer. And why? I guess you're gonna have to be a chess player to know.

#8 Lars

Lars

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 7837 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:03 AM

Sounds like quite the character. A lot of people I look up to have pretty big flaws, and this one had as well. I'm sure his views have their reasons though, so I'm not one to judge him.

Rest in peace I guess, althought I dunno who he is. Certain family members might since they are into chess...

#9 Mince Wobley

Mince Wobley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4828 posts
  • LocationI'll never eat an airplane

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:05 AM

Yes that's so cool lets hate him because he didn't like jews
Play Raimond Ex (if you haven't already)

I'll not TAKE ANYTHING you write like this seriously because it looks dumb

#10 The Ghost

The Ghost

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 1801 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:05 AM

I hope this doesn't turn into a debate of how much of a monster he was.

Edit:

I know those were some big flaws. The way I look at it is this way, if he isn't in a position of power, I frankly don't give damn. Even though his views does not effect me personally, I would most likely say the same thing even if it did. If what he said bothers you then you should probably just ignore him really.

I've known horriblely racist people and honestly, I just look at them and laugh and go about my business. You can't change a bigot, especially if he is dead. There will always be people to put him in his place, unfortunately, I'm not one of those people (of course I would rip him to shred if I heard what he said in person).

#11 WunderBread

WunderBread

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1943 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:06 AM

B-b-but!! Th movie! It was so c-cool! You have to like him!

Honestly, I JUST saw this on the news about five minutes ago. I was pretty saddened because all I had known about him was what was in the movie, but now that I know about all these comments and accusations Fisher made, well... it just puts him in a new light, and not a very good one, at that.

Still, his skills at chess were admirable. It's just a pity that life didn't emulate the movies.

#12 Kaworu

Kaworu

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 17123 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:07 AM

I can't play chess (I'm too dumb) but I can appreciate him.

#13 dada

dada

VILLAIN

• Administrators
  • 17464 posts
  • Locationsuperhell

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:09 AM

Some videos:

http://edition.cnn.c...it/#cnnSTCVideo - Fischer arriving in Reykjavík, and Garry Kasparov today on Fischer.

#14 Artis Leon Ivey Jr

Artis Leon Ivey Jr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 20067 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:15 AM

I don't really care what you think. He was a tragic figure, I don't deny that, but I also believe that he was crazy and it's hard to take someone like that seriously in any case.

But it's not just the fact he was good at board game, it's that he carried it to unprecedented heights. He was the one who truly invented the phenomenon of professional chess. He's had more of an impact on the game than anybody else in the world.

And that's the reason why he was one of my heroes.

...TRAGIC.

he's a fucking anti-semitic nut!

the reason you like him is because he was good at a game. don't say he took it to unprecedented heights; it was the Soviet players that took chess to unprecedented heights, both in the past and now. Fischer's breaking the law and playing in Yugoslavia (for a black market 5 million dollar chess game) nearly caused an international incident until he fled the country. the incident was slightly ridiculous, but Fischer of course plays it off as a ZOG conspiracy. the only time he's appeared in the news since is to spout some horrible garbage, and of course, carries the title: Chess Champion Bobby Fischer Believes Jews Hate Elephants For Their Dicks.

for all the good Fischer did to chess, he did equal harm to society, and to anyone who respects chess players. he proved what people had suggested but never had examples of before; that chess playing apparently has less to do with intelligence than was previously thought. after all, if someone writes that shit, they've got a dustbin for a mind.

Fischer is no hero. whatever his abilities are, they are far outweighed by his disgusting and foul politics. you may not care what I think, but I refuse to let your write some revisionist garbage about some noble chess hero helping the game instead of who he really was, which includes his very public, very famous, statements.

I hope this doesn't turn into a debate of how much of a monster he was.

Edit:

I know those were some big flaws. The way I look at it is this way, if he isn't in a position of power, I frankly don't give damn. Even though his views does not effect me personally, I would most likely say the same thing even if it did. If what he said bothers you then you should probably just ignore him really.

I've known horriblely racist people and honestly, I just look at them and laugh and go about my business. You can't change a bigot, especially if he is dead. There will always be people to put him in his place, unfortunately, I'm not one of those people (of course I would rip him to shred if I heard what he said in person).

that's incredibly poor reasoning; Fischer also was in a position of power, unless you only learned about him via this topic and missed all the news releases about him when he'd come out just to say "FUCK JEWS". ignoring bigotry only gives the bigot more ammunition because guess what champ no one else will. revising Fischer's past to say "oh he just thinks Jews are bad what a hero otherwise" is akin to saying that the Sandanistas were a completely peace loving group with the exception of a few nasty dissidents.
brian chemicals

#15 Kaworu

Kaworu

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 17123 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:19 AM

who are the sandanotinas?

#16 dada

dada

VILLAIN

• Administrators
  • 17464 posts
  • Locationsuperhell

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:20 AM

the reason you like him is because he was good at a game. don't say he took it to unprecedented heights; it was the Soviet players that took chess to unprecedented heights, both in the past and now.

You know nothing about chess. Don't pretend like you do.

I don't expect you to change your mind over this, anyway. You're not a chess player, so you don't see him in the same way that I do. You can argue that he was a terrible person who caused more harm to society than good to chess, but that's debatable. I don't consider Fischer to have been a major influence on international politics. He was just an individual, after all.

And yeah, go argue that last part however much you want. But you don't have an understanding of chess players if you think that most of the chess world isn't going to be saddened by this news.

#17 Kaempfer

Kaempfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1989 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:24 AM

I really don't understand how the fact that he was an excellent chess player excuses him from the fact that he was pretty obviously a terrible human being. You can glorify (or respect) his contribution to chess all you want, but that doesn't make him a "hero".

This is really fucking stupid. I just don't get how any one good series of actions can excuse an awful person from guilt in anyone's mind. I know you have a big hard-on for chess, Dada, but this is absurd.

edit: No, I don't know dick all about chess, and it's important to realize that that doesn't matter at all when it comes to horrible people fading out of the mortal coil.

#18 General Robert E. Lee

General Robert E. Lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1892 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:26 AM

Don't try to reason with Dada, dangerousned, you don't belong to the Exclusive Elite Club of Chess Players.
Admiral Robert E Lee: From an alternate reality in which the United States is an archipelago and the Civil War is fought at sea.

#19 dada

dada

VILLAIN

• Administrators
  • 17464 posts
  • Locationsuperhell

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:31 AM

I really don't understand how the fact that he was an excellent chess player excuses him from the fact that he was pretty obviously a terrible human being. You can glorify (or respect) his contribution to chess all you want, but that doesn't make him a "hero".

He wasn't "a" hero. He was one of my heroes. That has nothing to do with you. He was hardly a hero to the world.

You guys just didn't get inspired by Fischer like I did. That's the issue here. I'm a chess player and I know that he was one of the most iconic and important figures in the history of the game. Whether he was the greatest, I don't know, but he's the reason a lot of people are playing it today, including some of the top players, like Kasparov.

Don't try to reason with Dada, dangerousned, you don't belong to the Exclusive Elite Club of Chess Players.

And yeah, feel free to flame me for taking up this stance or whatever (there's no need to do that by the way, Man-O-War). But that's what I think. And I'm not excusing the fact he was a lunatic. Because he was. I'm not trying to downplay it either, despite thinking that he wasn't actually harmful at any time. But I'm a chess player and I find it difficult.

#20 General Robert E. Lee

General Robert E. Lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1892 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:33 AM

I'm not flaming you because you're defending a psychotic anti-Semite (well, maybe that is part of it), I'm flaming you because you're coming off as a huge elitist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users