17 replies to this topic

#1 Jr

Jr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:49 AM

Well I just bought Suikoden 5 a week ago and started playing it 2 days ago. :naughty:
well I wanna know if there are any characters that become  missable at some point in the game.
Id like you to show them like this.

NAME:
TOWN:
HOW TO GET THEM:
BEFORE WHEN:

if you don't wanna post it like this do it your own way.

#2 Eike

Eike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:11 AM

http://www.gamefaqs....le/929668/42169

Ctrl + F and 'missable'.

In V there are quite a few. Oboro and the five other stars you need him for stand out as particularly easy-to-miss ones, as does Doctor Murad.
Notes on the Second Mellynd War - A game what I made.

Sturdy-Looking Gramophone - The Notes on the Second Mellynd War devlog.

#3 Guest_Sarevok_*

Guest_Sarevok_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:09 PM

If you're going to use a walkthrough on your first playthrough you might as well not bother playing. At least complete it once and then go for all the characters.

#4 Rowain

Rowain

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 10052 posts
  • LocationNB, Canada

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:17 PM

The detective and the doctor (their names escape me) are two of the easiest to miss I think. Especially the detective, I almost missed him my first playthrough because the process to recruit him is sort of abstract and involves talking to certain people at precise points in the game, and you have very limited room to mess up. The doctor appears after army battles in whatever town you're fighting near, and you have to speak with him after each battle, and eventually he joins.

edit: that faq can answer this better than any of us, yeah. Murad is the name of the doctor and Oboro is the detective. I think Oboro might be the most frustrating recruit in the game because the process of convincing him to join seems really complex and dependent on many variables.

editedit: Sarevok this isn't even a walkthrough, it's just a character guide, not everyone is going to want to replay the entire game a second time just to get every character (I really liked Suikoden 5 but I'm not really interested in playing it through again (maybe because I sunk like 60 hours in on my first playthrough))
WHY SO SERIOUS HAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA

#5 Guest_Sarevok_*

Guest_Sarevok_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:27 PM

Well I only played 1 and 2, but I ended up playing them twice through even though I am totally not a fan of this sort of game. I guess 5 isn't as good then >:)

#6 DS

DS

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 26236 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:14 PM

Suikoden 5 is great and it's definitely better than first Suikoden but the horrible loading times really make it a lot less replayable. Plus it takes like 7 hours for the game to actually get interesting.
To Never Be Known Is The Worst Death

#7 maladroithim

maladroithim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3198 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:23 PM

Well also Suikoden 5 is so easy that it insults your intelligence.  There are no puzzles, all battles are over in one round etc.  And yes the load times are outrageous!

It was a pretty good game, but . . . man everything about its gameplay was such a joke.  The war battles were cool though!

#8 Rowain

Rowain

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 10052 posts
  • LocationNB, Canada

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:22 PM

Yeah Konami doesn't understand how to make RPGs NOT ANNOYING. Every Suikoden has suffered from bad encounter rates, but Suikoden 4 and 5 were the worst, and the load times in 5 were appalling. That combined with ridiculously dull dungeons - like the labyrinth by the lake where you find your castle. It's nothing but grey stone hallways that you have to backtrack through hitting switches while being assaulted by the same two enemies. Talk about frustrating!! That and yeah, it takes like TEN HOURS to actually get interesting. I found it really fun further in though, when you go on the offensive and army battles are more numerous.

#9 maladroithim

maladroithim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3198 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:55 AM

Yeah Konami doesn't understand how to make RPGs NOT ANNOYING. Every Suikoden has suffered from bad encounter rates, but Suikoden 4 and 5 were the worst, and the load times in 5 were appalling. That combined with ridiculously dull dungeons - like the labyrinth by the lake where you find your castle. It's nothing but grey stone hallways that you have to backtrack through hitting switches while being assaulted by the same two enemies. Talk about frustrating!! That and yeah, it takes like TEN HOURS to actually get interesting. I found it really fun further in though, when you go on the offensive and army battles are more numerous.

I have been replaying the original Suikoden lately and I was surprised by how much better the design was than 5.  You can skip random encounters with the "let go" command, the dungeons have puzzles, there are no load times anywhere, and the encounters are actually fairly challenging.  I had forgotten that it was a much better-balanced game than its sequels and I was actually pretty surprised.

#10 Aten

Aten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4157 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:30 AM

Suikoden 2 forever!

edit:

and 3!
Posted Image

#11 Yeaster

Yeaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1500 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:28 AM

Plus it takes like 7 hours for the game to actually get interesting.

That's how I felt about the second Suikoden. For me, at kind of peaked at the beginning, then became stale...it peaked again, and now it's flatlining. I haven't finished it yet, though.

Yeah Konami doesn't understand how to make RPGs NOT ANNOYING. Every Suikoden has suffered from bad encounter rates

The second one has very good encounter rates, I think. For a while I thought I was fighting too little.
Posted Image
Complete Chaos [Full Game available!] (No RTP required)
Also try out my demo: A Nightmare in Sunnydale, California
http://gamingw.net/f...p?topic=81758.0
---
MMZ [Short Demo Available]
VANITY[demo version]

#12 flashstar1234

flashstar1234

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:37 AM

Suikoden 2 has the best story out of all the suikodens, is what I think. But I think that Suikoden 3 was the funnest and the one I enjoyed playing the most.

#13 big ass skelly

big ass skelly

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 7865 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:13 PM

2's the best. Anyone who says 2's not the best isn't me

#14 Rowain

Rowain

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 10052 posts
  • LocationNB, Canada

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:19 PM

I have been replaying the original Suikoden lately and I was surprised by how much better the design was than 5.  You can skip random encounters with the "let go" command, the dungeons have puzzles, there are no load times anywhere, and the encounters are actually fairly challenging.  I had forgotten that it was a much better-balanced game than its sequels and I was actually pretty surprised.

Yeah, I actually like a lot about the first Suikoden EXCEPT and this is a big except, the translation and story. It's got the most hilariously poorly done "professional" translation I've ever seen and it completely killed the game for me.

The army battles were pretty dull/easy too.

Personally, I'd like to see the quality of story from Suikoden 3, the graphics of 2 (which I actually thought was the prettiest), and the army battles of 5. if Konami could combine the strengths of those 3, they'd have a really cool game on their hands.

Now if only they'd actually continue the series.

#15 DS

DS

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 26236 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:57 PM

I prefer Suikoden 2's army battles but 5's were cool too.

I also think every Suikoden game is WAY too easy, first one too. There are maybe a few challenging battles (if even that) but most of them are so pointless since you don't really even have to think about what to do. I seriously think developers should take example from games like Grandia or Lunar where you actually have to do other stuff than just spam attack because that won't get you anywhere.

I didn't remember that Suikoden 5 didn't have let go command. I know Suikoden 1 and 2 have it but now I'm uncertain if any of the other three have it or not. It's a neat idea since it's pretty much pointless to fight any low level battles in Suikoden given the leveling system. Speaking of the leveling system, it's another thing I dislike in Suikoden. Sure, it completely removes any grinding but it also makes the game even more easy and removes any challenge whatsoever. Although it wouldn't be so bad if the games were at least well balanced.

I still like Suikoden 1 a lot but like Rowain said, the translation is pretty bad. I don't mind the story, it's pretty decent. I don't really remember any good dungeon design in Suikoden 1, it was at most pretty average and standard. And all the villages were really boring and it'd have like empty areas with three or so houses here and there and that's it. It just feels really dated and I think Suikoden 2 does everything Suikoden 1 does but better.
To Never Be Known Is The Worst Death

#16 Aten

Aten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4157 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:02 PM

They should really bring back 4's Ship Battles. man that was like.... the funnest thing about 4.
Posted Image

#17 XxSylverxX

XxSylverxX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 5993 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:21 PM

didnt they have ship battles in 5? not many but im pretty sure earlier in the game there was one.

#18 maladroithim

maladroithim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3198 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:49 PM

I didn't remember that Suikoden 5 didn't have let go command. I know Suikoden 1 and 2 have it but now I'm uncertain if any of the other three have it or not. It's a neat idea since it's pretty much pointless to fight any low level battles in Suikoden given the leveling system. Speaking of the leveling system, it's another thing I dislike in Suikoden. Sure, it completely removes any grinding but it also makes the game even more easy and removes any challenge whatsoever. Although it wouldn't be so bad if the games were at least well balanced.

I still like Suikoden 1 a lot but like Rowain said, the translation is pretty bad. I don't mind the story, it's pretty decent. I don't really remember any good dungeon design in Suikoden 1, it was at most pretty average and standard.

The goal of the leveling system is to encourage you swap in new/unused characters all the time.  That way you aren't afraid to pop in a level 7 guy because he'll be up to spec in no time.  However it always tops off way too quickly and only the first five battles in any dungeon matter.

Also the dungeons in S1 aren't great, but I meant they aren't horrible.  Most have puzzles and are reasonably fun to navigate.  I was mostly comparing it to Suikoden 5's dungeons that are 100% straight corridors.  In S5 it was almost like they were randomly generated :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users