Photo

Battlestar Galactica - THE END. SO SAY WE ALL.

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 Mateui

Mateui

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 12510 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:19 PM

Posted Image
Season 4 continues tonight at 10 pm EST on Space/Sci Fi Channel.

If you haven't caught up with all the episodes yet, I'd avoid this thread because you wouldn't want to inadvertantly spoil yourself and ruin the shock and excitement of such scenes as
Spoiler
With that said, any discussion about an aired episode does not need to be put in spoiler tags. If your country gets a certain episode later than the rest of us, just avoid reading the thread until you've seen that particular episode. The only thing that should be spoiler tagged is any discussion pertaining to upcoming episodes.. you know, actual spoilers.

Alright, now that that's out of the way, who else is extremely excited? (I know Rowain is). I'm really stoked and happy, but at the same time kind of sad.. I mean, when these next 10 episodes air that'll be the end of it all. It's kind of bittersweet. Luckily I feel like season 4 has been gaining a lot of momentum and these last episodes should be amazing. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. The final cylon, Kara's destiny, Earth, (and can Dualla just die already???)

Speaking of the final Cylon, anyone care to make any guesses?

Will it be someone prominent in the cast like Lee, Roslin, or Adama, or someone more in the background like Gaeta? Or will the writers throw us a curveball and reveal it to be Ellen Tigh or Zach? I honestly have no idea, but I am hoping that Laura is revealed to be Cylon. It would just work for me, but, on the other hand, it would also mess up the meaning of the Opera Visions and put to a question her illness and the fact that she was cured by Hera's blood. BUT, it'll definetely blur the contrast between humanity and Cylons, something which fits into the overlying theme of the show. Ah, I have faith in the writing. Whoever it is better have a satisfying reveal.

Ah, less than 9 hours now!

SO SAY WE ALL
:woop:

#2 Shinan

Shinan

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 2881 posts
  • LocationEkenäs, Finland

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:06 PM

I'm pretty damn hyped. I was late on the BSG train. I watched the whole series (up until now) last summer. I had hoped I'd be able to watch the whole series but then they decided to go all Spring 2009 so I had to wait like most others.

So by now I've almost forgotten everything but damn if I'm not really excited anyway. I really want to see where this series ends up. It has gone EVERYWHERE.

(Although Babylon 5 will remain my favorite this is certainly a close second)

One of the nice things about BSG was the commentary podcasts. I had a good job last summer so I watched episodes during the day and then at work at night I listened to the commentaries for the episodes. I hope they continue into the new season.

I probably won't speculate much though. I'm always so bad at speculation. I heard the BSG boardgame is pretty fun...
"I'm just a nationalistic Swedish-speaking Finn"
"Aivan, mutta suomalaiset juovat toki olutta."
I never forget an Insult nor do I forget a compliment.
Posted Image

#3 Rowain

Rowain

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 10052 posts
  • LocationNB, Canada

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:51 AM

might wanna put SPOILERS in the thread title, just as an added favour to hapless forum users.
WHY SO SERIOUS HAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA

#4 jamie

jamie

ruined former youth seeking atonement

• Salty Members
  • 8248 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:52 AM

i didn't read your post matuei sorry but yeah i will be watching this. i don't have high hopes or anything, bsg has been more bullshit than not for a while, but i think they'll probably do something good with these episodes. i'll watch it tomorrow somewhere on the internet.

#5 Mateui

Mateui

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 12510 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:55 AM

I heard the BSG boardgame is pretty fun...

It's awesome. One of my favourite board games. Being a hidden Cylon is the most fun. Twice now I've convinced people to release me from the brig when I was a Cylon. I then got to brig my brother automatically when I revealed myself on the next turn.  :laugh: Good times.

#6 xanque

xanque

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 6116 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:09 AM

DO NOT HOVER OVER THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE NEWEST EPISODE:
Spoiler

A pretty strange decision, but I'm willing to see where they go with this before making any judgments. 

That was a really depressing episode.  I was hoping for the final episodes to start off with a bang, but I guess that would have been inappropriate given the events of the episode before.
Posted Image

#7 Artis Leon Ivey Jr

Artis Leon Ivey Jr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 20067 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:41 AM

hey because panda is a big dummy reiterating dont read the topic if you haven't seen the latest episode unless you are me (do not care)! xanqui's spoiler is basically WHO THE LAST CYLON IS (uh oh i've spoiled that they reveal this I guess) sooooo yeah that's kind of the crux of the last two seasons isn't it?
brian chemicals

#8 xanque

xanque

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 6116 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:55 AM

hey because panda is a big dummy reiterating dont read the topic if you haven't seen the latest episode unless you are me (do not care)! xanqui's spoiler is basically

Spoiler
(uh oh i've spoiled that they reveal this I guess) sooooo yeah that's kind of the crux of the last two seasons isn't it?

I have spoilerified it more better.
Posted Image

#9 jamie

jamie

• Salty Members
  • 8248 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:17 PM

that was a really dumb episode. the writers of this show don't know how to write people, just cliches. i dunno if it was always this bad? but pretty much everything that happened i couldn't take seriously.

Spoiler

#10 Rowain

Rowain

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 10052 posts
  • LocationNB, Canada

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:29 PM

Yeah bits of the show were good but overall it was pretty mediocre. The characters are starting to collapse under the weight of their history. Early on I thought the series, on the whole, had pretty good characterization; or at least it wasn't afraid to show that humanity has a dark side, unlike most sci fi. This episode was just silly.

SPOILERS:

Spoiler

I'd be lying if I wasn't really curious about how they'll explain this Kara thing. I couldn't even begin to theorize what the hell it all means.

Also spoiler about the final cylon.....

Spoiler

I won't lie though. I'll finish the series, and probably enjoy it for what it is. The production values are still impressive for TV sci fi.

Also I want to see if Eick and Moore actually have a way to explain that "Last Supper" picture. They've been running their mouths since it was released, saying ALL THE ANSWERS ARE IN THIS PHOTO, but even knowing who the final Cylon is, I don't see anything about it in the picture.
WHY SO SERIOUS HAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA

#11 xanque

xanque

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 6116 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:42 PM

Also I want to see if Eick and Moore actually have a way to explain that "Last Supper" picture. They've been running their mouths since it was released, saying ALL THE ANSWERS ARE IN THIS PHOTO, but even knowing who the final Cylon is, I don't see anything about it in the picture.

It's actually pretty obvious if you look at
Spoiler

Also,
Spoiler

Posted Image

#12 Mateui

Mateui

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 12510 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:12 PM

This episode was filmed during the writers strike as it was the last script that was fully written when the writers walked, so that may explain why some of you were disappointed with it. Personally, I really enjoyed the episode and the moment when
Spoiler

The reveal was a little disappointing to me, but I'll roll with it and see what happens. I await the explanation of Earth being revealed to be filled with
Spoiler

PS: I guess everyone wants to spoilerify things so I'll comply :(

#13 headphonics

headphonics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 6616 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:43 PM

I don't wanna type up a long post, but I thought it was kind of a dumb episode.  Really mediocre!  FRAKIN.....FRAKIN SHOOT ME *drinks whiskey*.  It has been doing this for a while, but it is always so tense/melodramatic and it feels completely contrived most of the time.  I do not think the writers get that not every moment of the show has to be EDGE OF YOU SEAT INTENSITY...

But yeah it's difficult to take it seriously because the show takes itself way, way too seriously.  Every moment is like that one with Tigh/Adama or whatever other tense, serious moments.  If you have everything be like this, it loses its impact.  Like I said, it feels contrived to me.  Also, the final cylon is dumb, but I knew it'd be dumb.  You can't string suspense along like this for over a year and not have it be disappointing.  It never, ever lives up to the build up.  This is why I am 100% positive shows like Lost will always be remembered as THAT ONE SHOW WITH THE GAY ENDING.

#14 Randy Moist

Randy Moist

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 3107 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:19 PM

I'm just going to spoiler everything so

Spoiler

#15 headphonics

headphonics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 6616 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:22 PM

i dont think it was a red herring man.  like i dont think they wanted you do think she was the final cylon.  if anything i think what they've been
Spoiler
is the big red herring.

#16 jamie

jamie

• Salty Members
  • 8248 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:37 PM

i actually assumed dualla was the final cylon when i saw her pop up first in the previouslies. i mean it could only be that or her impending death that the writers would give her a storyline, cos they do this all the time with the characters they kill off. if a background character is suddenly in the limelight for the first time in a while, they're probably about to die.

i can't think of anything i legitimately liked about this one. i'm kind of just watching it for the atmosphere, i guess, and it's funny to hear saul say things like "i didn't have the guts" and all that. actually, i do like saul. i'm watching for his story, cos i think it's a pretty good redemption story right now even if i do laugh at him sometimes.

roslin's breakdown was awful and really cheesey (she...BURNS all her broken dreams...she's so distraught she's even got to say "burn"...twice), so have adama's numerous breakdowns this season. what else. dualla stinks, she's only ever been defined by whoever her boyfriend currently is. i hate starbuck and i've never liked this storyline she's got with leoben with the whole "i forced you to be my wife and now you're actually kind of acting like you are" stuff. i don't get what they're trying to say with that, the relationship has always felt really exploitative and if the only justification they've got for it is this stupid prophecy shit then well that just don't stick for me!

i mean i couldn't even care that earth turned out to be a wasteland. cos who gives a shit? they were resting their hopes on some unrelatable mystical prophecy thing and what's so different about just finding another planet and settling down again? new caprica was only fucked up cos of the cylon situation and that's been resolved since they're all buddies now so they could even just head back there or find some nicer place. i think that's probably where the storyline will go, that the cylons and humans had to work together to find a new home, but there wasn't even a whisper of "so who cares if earth stinks? i was never religious anyway" here and it made all the characters seem really dumb to me. what happened to all the atheists.

it's a shame about that roslin thing cos i've always liked her character and enjoyed mary mcdonnells acting. olmos lost the plot a while ago.

basically, i don't really like this show but i'll stick around for the ending cos i'm also kind of dumb.

#17 Mateui

Mateui

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 12510 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:52 AM

You guys all sound like you don't have real blood in your main vein.

:welp:

There's a cool interview with Ron Moore where he discusses the episode: here

#18 headphonics

headphonics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 6616 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:54 AM

god i forgot he said that.  what a horrible fucking line

#19 Randy Moist

Randy Moist

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 3107 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:42 AM

i dont think it was a red herring man.  like i dont think they wanted you do think she was the final cylon.  if anything i think what they've been

Spoiler
is the big red herring.

Spoiler

#20 Mateui

Mateui

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 12510 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:46 AM

Well, technically it is a space opera...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users