46 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 7075 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:24 PM

Okay so my ATI Radeon x1950 just died. i need a new, decent, budget card. preferably $100 or less, my only income right now is mowing lawns.
Posted Image

#2 something bizarre and impractical

something bizarre and impractical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3873 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:51 PM

http://www.tigerdire...AIN#detailspecs

This is PCI-E, I'm assuming you aren't using AGP but inform us if you are!
Posted Image

#3 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 7075 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:56 PM

PCI-E is fine

that's a pretty good price! any other suggestions?
Posted Image

#4 something bizarre and impractical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3873 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:57 PM

If you want to go the extra mile some versions of the 9800GT are also getting down near $100-130. As far as ATI goes... umm... I think the 3850 is around there.
Posted Image

#5 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 7075 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:58 PM

are nvidia cards really that much better than ati? i've always used ati in the past but i don't care much about which brand
Posted Image

#6 something bizarre and impractical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3873 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:59 PM

It really depends on the card, tbh. You will hear fanboys from both sides argue either way. I personally like Nvidia, but ATI has some nice cards out there too.
Posted Image

#7 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 7075 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:03 PM

okay thanks! i'll probably pick this up in the next week or two. thanks for the fast reply :-)
Posted Image

#8 something bizarre and impractical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3873 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:12 PM

What is your CPU, though? If you go for the 9800GT you might notice some bottlenecking, whereas you'll have a safer bet with the 9600. Although obviously at the cost of raw power. Also make sure you meet the power requirements for the cards.
Posted Image

#9 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 7075 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:17 PM

i have a dual core amd athlon 5600+. 4 gigs of ram

ALSO i only have a 300w psu.
Posted Image

#10 something bizarre and impractical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3873 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:24 PM

300W PSU might not cut it, I know the minimum for a 9800GT is 400W. I'm not sure about the 9600.
Posted Image

#11 goat

goat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1675 posts
  • LocationOhio, United States

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:47 PM

I would say an 8800 GT or 9800 GT for an nvidia card, whichever you can find cheaper. Performance between them is very similar.

8800 GT:
http://www.epartsand...4m06#googlebase
http://www.ascendtec...VC512PNYG8800GT

9800 GT:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814125247
http://www.eworldsal...5883_27334.html

#12 something bizarre and impractical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3873 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:54 PM

Well the 8800GT draws even more power, so he's looking at a new PSU if he does that.
Posted Image

#13 goat

goat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1675 posts
  • LocationOhio, United States

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:16 AM

A 300watt PSU will work for either. Check out articles on power draw for the cards if you don't believe me.

http://www.anandtech...spx?i=3140&p=13
http://www.hardwarez...2688&cid=3&pg=9
http://www.pcper.com...pe=expert&pid=7

or you can combine the consumption yourself with
http://74.125.95.132...lient=firefox-a
and
http://74.125.95.132...lient=firefox-a

You wont have that much extra headroom afterwards, but as long as you don't have something like a big HDD raid setup, or huge chain of USB devices, you should be fine.

EDIT: it doesn't show TDP for 9800 GT or 8800 GT in the wiki article, but it lists the 9800 GTX as 197w and that card is quite literally two 8800 PCBs.

#14 something bizarre and impractical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3873 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:24 AM

I suppose I am incorrect then, but it seems p close!
Posted Image

#15 Neophyte

Neophyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 5757 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:50 AM

Woah man, how is that 8800 GT from Ascendtech only $85??

The price on these things drop faster than I thought. You don't even need a card with more power than that.

#16 `~congresman Ron paul~~

`~congresman Ron paul~~

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3540 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:51 AM

Woah man, how is that 8800 GT from Ascendtech only $85??

The price on these things drop faster than I thought. You don't even need a card with more power than that.

Yeah, seriously. The only reason to buy more than that is if you're getting SLI for high res (1680*1050) on games like fucking CRYSIS or if you are really fucking obsessive compulsive and absolutely MUST run crysis at high res with 16xAA

really though i have an 8800GTS 320 so i am seriously considering nabbing two of those because those in SLI should rock any game out right now with my monitor and it's dirt cheap. who the fuck needs a GTX 285 when you can get 50-80 FPS on Crysis at Very High?
Posted Image
That’s right, you have the young gaming with the old(er), white people gaming with black people, men and women, Asian countries gaming with the EU, North Americans gaming with South Americans. Much like world sporting events like the Wolrd Cup, or the Olympics will bring together different nations in friendly competition, (note the recent Asian Cup; Iraq vs. Saudi Arabia, no violence there) we come together. The differences being, we are not divided by our nationalities and we do it 24-7, and on a personal level.

We are a community without borders and without colours, the spirit and diversity of the gaming community is one that should be looked up to, a spirit and diversity other groups should strive toward.

#17 `~congresman Ron paul~~

`~congresman Ron paul~~

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3540 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:54 AM

it seems to me like more and more these days if you're not really all that interested in just PLAYIN THE RAT RACE you can get seriously high end computers for $600 if you build them yourself.
Posted Image
That’s right, you have the young gaming with the old(er), white people gaming with black people, men and women, Asian countries gaming with the EU, North Americans gaming with South Americans. Much like world sporting events like the Wolrd Cup, or the Olympics will bring together different nations in friendly competition, (note the recent Asian Cup; Iraq vs. Saudi Arabia, no violence there) we come together. The differences being, we are not divided by our nationalities and we do it 24-7, and on a personal level.

We are a community without borders and without colours, the spirit and diversity of the gaming community is one that should be looked up to, a spirit and diversity other groups should strive toward.

#18 something bizarre and impractical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3873 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:55 AM

IIRC you could also just grab one GTX260 216 though, and that's ~8800GT SLI so... plus they OC like a breeze up to 280 levels.
Posted Image

#19 something bizarre and impractical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3873 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:56 AM

it seems to me like more and more these days if you're not really all that interested in just PLAYIN THE RAT RACE you can get seriously high end computers for $600 if you build them yourself.

Depends what you consider high end... but you're not going to get a 'serious' rig for only $600.
Posted Image

#20 `~congresman Ron paul~~

`~congresman Ron paul~~

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3540 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:00 AM

Depends what you consider high end... but you're not going to get a 'serious' rig for only $600.

I don't see the point in paying thousands of dollars so you can get an extra 15 frames per second. a 5600+ with 9800s in SLI or a GTX260 is more than enough for anything you can throw at it and probably more than enough for anything coming out in the next year and a half, and when the 'next wave' of high end graphics hits you'd need to upgrade whatever you have anyhow.

honestly the only reason to spend more than 600-700 bucks on a computer that you're not using for something like RENDERING or INTENSIVE GRAPHICS WORK seems like just e-peen-wagging to me, honestly
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users