46 replies to this topic

#21 `~congresman Ron paul~~

`~congresman Ron paul~~

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3540 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:01 AM

heh, have you seen my 'rig'? it's in my forum sig.
Posted Image
That’s right, you have the young gaming with the old(er), white people gaming with black people, men and women, Asian countries gaming with the EU, North Americans gaming with South Americans. Much like world sporting events like the Wolrd Cup, or the Olympics will bring together different nations in friendly competition, (note the recent Asian Cup; Iraq vs. Saudi Arabia, no violence there) we come together. The differences being, we are not divided by our nationalities and we do it 24-7, and on a personal level.

We are a community without borders and without colours, the spirit and diversity of the gaming community is one that should be looked up to, a spirit and diversity other groups should strive toward.

#22 something bizarre and impractical

something bizarre and impractical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3873 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:05 AM

I don't see the point in paying thousands of dollars so you can get an extra 15 frames per second. a 5600+ with 9800s in SLI or a GTX260 is more than enough for anything you can throw at it and probably more than enough for anything coming out in the next year and a half, and when the 'next wave' of high end graphics hits you'd need to upgrade whatever you have anyhow.

honestly the only reason to spend more than 600-700 bucks on a computer that you're not using for something like RENDERING or INTENSIVE GRAPHICS WORK seems like just e-peen-wagging to me, honestly

I don't know about thousands, but a thousand would get you off to a nice start. A lot of it is just sort of E-PEEN or whatever you want to call it. But not much difference than hanging outside WORKIN' ON YER CAR or whatever. I can see where you are coming from, though, especially for people who don't really care how the game looks so much as runs, within reason. I think I spent $900CAD on mine and it's a decent little machine. 8800GT, E8200, etc. There are a few times I've been like MAN I WISH I COULD BUMP UP THE AA A BIT MORE or MAN THIS IS DIPPING INTO THE 20FPS AND IS KIND OF NOTICEABLE, but overall gameplay is fairly smooth and there is no pressing need for me to upgrade anytime soon.

also I have no idea if I even addressed what you said I'm so out of it right now sorry
Posted Image

#23 `~congresman Ron paul~~

`~congresman Ron paul~~

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3540 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:12 AM

No seriously, just bought a year old medium-end rig for $300. it has a AMD 5600+, 2 gigs of DDR2 RAM, and a 8800GTS 320. Now, this is not a beautiful machine by any stretch of the mind - but it can run almost any game out there except for Crysis, Empire: Total War and a few other high end RTSes at max settings... I'm going to buy a GTX260 and 4 gigs of ram, for probably about 200 bucks - and then for $500 you have a computer that can run all the new games for the next year at the highest settings. i just don't understand why anything more is necessary! it's kind of neurotic if you can run the newest games at superhigh resolutions with everything but AA maxed out and you're thinking MAN I WISH I COULD GET 85FPS INSTEAD OF 80 WITH 16xAA...

I do understand where you're coming from but I just don't think it's practical for any reason unless you really just HAVE A LOT OF SPARE MONEY. i own a 62 inch tv though so i'm not really one to talk about USELESS CONSUMER PRODUCTS
Posted Image
That’s right, you have the young gaming with the old(er), white people gaming with black people, men and women, Asian countries gaming with the EU, North Americans gaming with South Americans. Much like world sporting events like the Wolrd Cup, or the Olympics will bring together different nations in friendly competition, (note the recent Asian Cup; Iraq vs. Saudi Arabia, no violence there) we come together. The differences being, we are not divided by our nationalities and we do it 24-7, and on a personal level.

We are a community without borders and without colours, the spirit and diversity of the gaming community is one that should be looked up to, a spirit and diversity other groups should strive toward.

#24 `~congresman Ron paul~~

`~congresman Ron paul~~

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3540 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:12 AM

also it just occurred to me is 16xAF basically the norm at this point? because i will play a game without AA so I can turn AF to max
Posted Image

#25 Carrion Crow

Carrion Crow

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 5038 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:28 AM

It's a hobby, just like tuning cars or collecting stamps. People like to squeeze a few more fps out of their rigs. It's not a crime, it's a free country and If I wanna spend £200 on a graphics card to make myself feel good (yes, that's like buying SHOES - but for guys) then I fucking WILL get my 14 extra fps and 8xAA.

#26 Carrion Crow

Carrion Crow

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 5038 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:29 AM

And oh look I am posting in groups of two posts to make a point. Something that has been done on THREE PREVIOUS OCCASIONS THIS THREAD. I am such a winner.

#27 Alec

Alec

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 3976 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:32 PM

man you've been around long enough to know that's the way things are. why do you have to bitch about it? somebody double posting isn't hurting you is it?

#28 Alec

Alec

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 3976 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:35 PM

i have a 9500GT and it runs what i want it to run. i got it for like 80 dollars or something i think.

#29 dom

dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2503 posts
  • Location~ PARAMORE ~

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:02 PM

It's a hobby, just like tuning cars or collecting stamps. People like to squeeze a few more fps out of their rigs. It's not a crime, it's a free country and If I wanna spend £200 on a graphics card to make myself feel good (yes, that's like buying SHOES - but for guys) then I fucking WILL get my 14 extra fps and 8xAA.

ya and rig shit and shoe collecting are both fuckin dumb hobbies

Posted Image

#30 dom

dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2503 posts
  • Location~ PARAMORE ~

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:02 PM

sorry i accidentally typed into this box and posted twice

Posted Image

#31 Neophyte

Neophyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 5757 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:10 PM

I do it as a hobby too, but I'm pretty light on it. I overclocked my quadcore to 3.4ghz from 2.4ghz, it was mostly to emulate ps2 games but it did boost the fps by a nice amount (also needed a high end cooler for this). But I'm not going to go pay $300 on the new card for a +15 FPS boost. Right now there really isn't a need to upgrade for the average hobbyist. There aren't any games that have come out in the past year and a half that have pushed graphic limitations much. It's likely to stay like that for a few more years too, so there isn't a need for me to upgrade. If you don't count a monitor, you can probably get a good tower for around $600.

But sometimes I'll just tweak the .ini settings of a game or something to get some better graphics or performance boost.

Also when did the word "gaming rig" come about? What's with that.

#32 Mama Luigi

Mama Luigi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4719 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:44 PM

Bareback Alabama here is the best PSU calculator I have found and it will help you determine if you'll need to upgrade PSU: http://www.thermalta...utervision.com/

#33 headphonics

headphonics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 6616 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:13 PM

ahahaha mowing lawns

#34 big ass skelly

big ass skelly

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 7865 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:16 PM

Lɘmonade 10 cents

#35 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 7075 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:17 PM

fuck off panda... hows the weather up there on your pedestal? :sly:

also what is the difference between a 9600 and a 9800 or 8800? the 9600 is considerably cheaper so if theres not an enormous difference ill just pick up the 9600
Posted Image

#36 something bizarre and impractical

something bizarre and impractical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3873 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:52 PM

also what is the difference between a 9600 and a 9800 or 8800? the 9600 is considerably cheaper so if theres not an enormous difference ill just pick up the 9600

The 9600 is considerably slower. I think it's roughly 22-25% slower than a 9800GT. The 9800GT and 8800GT are the same card, except the 9800GT is on a 55nm process rather than 65nm which makes it more energy efficient and produces less heat so the differences between these cards at stock is <1%.
Posted Image

#37 Rowain

Rowain

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 10052 posts
  • LocationNB, Canada

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:59 PM

man it's kind of funny. Mowing lawns is like BOBBYS FIRST JOB AT 13 is all. Whatever though. All bout the benjamins, however you bring them in.
WHY SO SERIOUS HAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA

#38 `~congresman Ron paul~~

`~congresman Ron paul~~

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3540 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:01 AM

There's a serious performance difference between the 600s and the 800s of any series; Farmrush's 25% is probably about right though on later games you will encounter even greater performance drops than that!

If all you're planning on playing is L4D/TF2 or somewhat old games, the 600s are fine - but for a higher end game you'll probably need an 800 or one of the newer cards. if you get an 800 or GTX you'll be pretty fine for games for a year or two.
Posted Image

#39 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 7075 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:52 AM

man it's kind of funny. Mowing lawns is like BOBBYS FIRST JOB AT 13 is all. Whatever though. All bout the benjamins, however you bring them in.

i know :(

its...its all i can get, though
Posted Image

#40 headphonics

headphonics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 6616 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:05 AM

dont tell me we're gonna ignore mark somehow finding a backwards e

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users