#1 jamie

jamie

ruined former youth seeking atonement

• Salty Members
  • 8248 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:52 PM

CAPRICA

Continuing the fabulous legacy of a dumb show that fell to bits

The pilot episode of this leaked. I watched it.

First of all, the fucking tits. Fuck off. We get about 30 stripper tits in this and more than one irrelevant and extended lesbian kiss. Running Dong Total: 0 dongs (unless you count eric stolz......................................). It was really bad. Pretty funny, though, too. Cos this is meant to be the "unrated extended version" and the only thing apart from that guy getting his throat slit you couldn't do on network TV was the tits. So RDM and Eick, or whoever is running this show, obviously thinks that the only thing networks hold them back from doing is showing tits. Gotta have those tits. Gimme dem titties!!! Rub em right up on the screen.

The acting was pretty shit and so was most of the writing, but I was expecting that. Maybe not from Paula Malcolmson. She was good in Deadwood but she was pretty shit here, even though she wasn't really given much to do after her initial scenes.

Some of the Cylon stuff towards the end was pretty cool. Not in a "THE CYLONS ARE COMIN!!!! THE CYLONS ARE COMIN!!!" kind of way but it's just cool to see an artificial lifeform get conceptualised and then created. I mean it still wasn't well written but you can only suffocate something cool like this so much.

There's alot of religion again, and who gives a flip. It was terrible in Battlestar Galactica and it's worse here cos the 14 year old running around saying "one true god" can't pull it off at all and I thought it was supposed to be funny at the beginning but nope. The show doesn't have a sense of humour, just like BSG never did. It's got one liners, a couple little jokes, but it's hacknyed and recycled wit played by actors who can't even manage that.

There's some blunt racism themes that aren't interesting. I dunno. You can't just THROW that kind of thing into something and have it be interesting. "YEah...so we've got these aliens and these other aliens....let's make them bigoted against each other!!!". I dunno, I've always found fictional race racism to be pretty boring cos writers always seem to take it for granted that this is powerful stuff and they don't need to work for it and they do cos until they do it's all just words. It's only the pilot, I guess, but there really was alot of the anti-Tauron stuff and there were even mixed messages about it.

It's a bunch of white people again, most of them men. The men are the only ones who make anything happen in this show, so far. Unless you count the daughter, I guess, but she's the special girl. 

I didn't totally hate it.

#2 Verne

Verne

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:26 PM

The start (lol high school teen drama) was totally awful but it kept getting better towards the end (proto-cylons!!!). And yeah, the religion thing was kinda lame since they already did it in BSG... The whole pilot had the feeling that it tried to be everything BSG was and at the same time it tried to be something totally different, which gave the pilot a rather messy outcome.

#3 Rowain

Rowain

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 10052 posts
  • LocationNB, Canada

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:03 PM

I can't get even remotely excited for this. to me, Caprica is to BSG as Smallville is to Superman. I wonder if it'll last more than a season.
WHY SO SERIOUS HAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA

#4 big ass skelly

big ass skelly

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 7865 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:52 PM

I gotta get me one of those group sex holovisors, dayum. Maybe I can steal one from a dirt eating italian

It wasn't too bad for an anime on the whole though.

#5 jamie

jamie

• Salty Members
  • 8248 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:25 AM

It wasn't too bad for an anime on the whole though.

flip me.

#6 Dulcinea

Dulcinea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

This show was my first audition. They've been working on it since before last March, so a considerable amount of work must have gone into it...

From what I recall the writing was really good (compared to other material), and lots of people here had high hopes for it (even though it was shooting in BC). Since it seems to have bad reception, I'm not sure if maybe the shooting, or the acting or rewrites, but the original script was really good (at least the scenes I read).

Sorry I can't be more intuitive (never watched BSG but I heard it was good).

#7 jamie

jamie

• Salty Members
  • 8248 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:31 PM

It's not getting a bad reception I just hated most of it.

What character did you audition for?

#8 Dulcinea

Dulcinea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:05 PM

Lacy (Or Lacey...or Lucy...it's been a while...they may have even changed the name). I had to do a scene leading some old guy (Zoe's father) through a bunch of virtual places (which was awkward because there was like...dialogue about orgies and stuff, and my reader was my coach), and then another scene with a virtual Zoe with lots of tears and stuff when she's talking about how she remembers dying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users