• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 the_bub_from_the_pit

the_bub_from_the_pit

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 2141 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:56 AM

hey, i'm going to make a website for my photography. I want to use a custom domain name (.net, i've already got a name that isn't taken thought of) and i know jack shit about all these matters so do you guys know where the best place to do this would be? I'm willing to pay the yearly fee or whatever. for now all i want this domain to do is redirect to a tumblr but eventually i want it to actually host shit.

thanks!

#2 Barack Obama

Barack Obama

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 4725 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:00 AM

a lot of hosting companies will register a domain name for you if you use their service, try looking for one of those and kill two birds with one stone

Posted Image

#3 Alec

Alec

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 3976 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:48 AM

i want my domain to have 20 inch rims and new pickups please.

I'm going to put a sticker on my domain to make it unique ^_^

#4 reko

reko

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 13043 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:53 AM

I don't suggest you register your domain through a web hosting company (unless it's a registrant which also provides web hosting). I've heard and read countless of stories with people stuck with a specific host because they've had hard time moving their domain away from the provider they registered the domain with. Basically if you do that, the provider will register the domain in THEIR name (usually), and unless they state in their terms of usage that you have complete control over your domain, do NOT register it via them.
Posted Image
big thanx to dragonslayer for sig!

#5 the_bub_from_the_pit

the_bub_from_the_pit

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 2141 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:01 AM

So what do you suggest then? I don't really know anything about this stuff!

#6 the_bub_from_the_pit

the_bub_from_the_pit

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 2141 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:02 AM

i want my domain to have 20 inch rims and new pickups please.

I'm going to put a sticker on my domain to make it unique ^_^

what does this even mean man

#7 Alec

Alec

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 3976 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:38 PM

CUSTOM domain

#8 Alec

Alec

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 3976 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:38 PM

i've also heard good things about godaddy as a registrar

#9 Vellfire

Vellfire

TV people want to leave

• Salty Members
  • 14593 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:00 PM

I've only had this for about a month or so but I have a domain and hosting through Godaddy and I've not had any problems.  Granted, I've not tried switching hosts or anything.  My only issue with them is that they'll try to call you for the first week to sell you more shit, but I just put them in my phonebook so I could ignore the calls from that number.

I love this hobby - stealing your mother's diary
BRRING! BRRING!
Hello!  It's me, Vellfire!  FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! ... Bye!  CLICK!  @gidgetnomates

#10 Barack Obama

Barack Obama

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 4725 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:51 PM

I don't suggest you register your domain through a web hosting company (unless it's a registrant which also provides web hosting). I've heard and read countless of stories with people stuck with a specific host because they've had hard time moving their domain away from the provider they registered the domain with. Basically if you do that, the provider will register the domain in THEIR name (usually), and unless they state in their terms of usage that you have complete control over your domain, do NOT register it via them.

What a dirty trick!

Posted Image

#11 Dust

Dust

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 1381 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:06 PM

i've also heard good things about godaddy as a registrar

http://tech.slashdot...9/0625249.shtml
http://www.ripoffrep...pOff0152493.htm
http://nodaddy.com/

I wouldn't suggest godaddy as a registrar. I had a hard time transferring my domain from them. It took 3 identical attempts before it finally transferred and they sent way too many confirmations trying to get me not to transfer my domain.
Posted Image

#12 the_bub_from_the_pit

the_bub_from_the_pit

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 2141 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:26 PM

So uh, is there like a website that tells you which registrars/hosting sites are good/bad?  Are there any that you guys use now that don't give you any problems?

#13 Silhouette

Silhouette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 852 posts
  • LocationRexburg, Idaho, USA

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:10 PM

I use Freehostia. It's only like $10 to register for a year, and free hosting. I have no idea whether or not it's suitable for an actual commercial site or whatnot, but it seems to work for my needs, especially financially.
Webmaster, www.wmsigler.net

#14 dom

dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2503 posts
  • Location~ PARAMORE ~

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:44 PM

I use Freehostia. It's only like $10 to register for a year, and free hosting. I have no idea whether or not it's suitable for an actual commercial site or whatnot, but it seems to work for my needs, especially financially.

you really have no idea if a $10/year plan is suitable for a commercial site

Posted Image

#15 ATARI

ATARI

Lichens!

• Salty Members
  • 21288 posts
  • LocationLichens, lichens

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

maybe for commercial rm2k/3 game making...

#16 wickedtruth

wickedtruth

Banned

• Banned
  • 9577 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 05:07 PM

Deut653.5CHAPCHAPMcBaпсихКазаVoglВиноПолоElkiКоваEGSiInteЛиндDjamКларЧерндругДодоЛазаВоевСегеTUS-Disc
РоссGuteПрокБондучилHeatFlowRajiЛойкOrchRichXVIIBlueMushEricавтоPatrСтепПасечитасертMaybСодеЖилиКрас
ОстррамкКоленесквизиXVIIMODOПивоTrouКабуPeteКарлClauнедуШтайKennLondпервоблаРучьтканCircCircPaliWeni
KingElleCircCircNoraсловNikiPhilXVIIКармНерсголоГершXVIIAltaдавнBarbZoneрассМожаZoneZoneZoneZoneZone
КазаZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneАбраZoneZoneZoneZoneприхZoneZoneZoneхорокрасNexuSamsIdenZanuWindBookMagi
RichDaliCrocоргаАртиPostРосс9071STARзавоГондпроиFunkIremкистследJoseBlanTinyBabyWindWindmailгуашBrau
сертDiavPediБелоТамоЛитРЛитРIncaСероPeteЛитРSimoКедр(ИсхдебрВоскХомиБондВольЯковWaltJoseJazzпоявКузн
LaurдесбГоличитаКордNirvСтанPeteJozeэкзаМинаManuАнатжурнГолуEnjoЖердпроцбизнOZONНовиКругRobeгазоКрем
Адам48-9ЗайцЧетвстихNexuNexuNexuавтоСераMillSideJohnавтоСуглШевчКолеЗрелКолоБоярtuchkasГоршПушк

#17 wickedtruth

wickedtruth

Banned

• Banned
  • 9577 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 10:31 AM

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users