16 replies to this topic

#1 something bizarre and impractical

something bizarre and impractical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3873 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:44 PM

Okay, so here's the deal. I'm trying to help my friend do some general maintenance on her computer WITHOUT reformatting. It's a terrible computer and has something like 320mb ram and a 1.3GHz processor. She's running Windows XP and seems to have abnormal levels of programs crashing and bluescreens with no apparent cause. I'm going to get her to run Spybot and AVG obviously. I had her run CCleaner. Just trying to think of some general stuff she could do.
Posted Image

#2 dragonx

dragonx

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 3569 posts
  • Locationsf

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:29 PM

put all her junk in your external(since your her nerd friend) and reformat!!!

#3 something bizarre and impractical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3873 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:54 PM

That is probably what is going to happen but anything else!!!?
Posted Image

#4 Frisky SKeleton

Frisky SKeleton

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 4717 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:37 AM

what do the bluescreens say?

I USE Q'S INSTEQD OF Q'S

#5 ATARI

ATARI

Lichens!

• Salty Members
  • 21288 posts
  • LocationLichens, lichens

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:49 PM

have you tried suggesting that she upgrade to freeBSD

#6 dom

dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2503 posts
  • Location~ PARAMORE ~

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:57 PM

Okay, so here's the deal. I'm trying to help my friend do some general maintenance on her computer WITHOUT reformatting. It's a terrible computer and has something like 320mb ram and a 1.3GHz processor. She's running Windows XP and seems to have abnormal levels of programs crashing and bluescreens with no apparent cause. I'm going to get her to run Spybot and AVG obviously. I had her run CCleaner. Just trying to think of some general stuff she could do.

well thanks for making a topic about it but maybe next time include a question

Posted Image

#7 Barack Obama

Barack Obama

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 4725 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:08 PM

When an OS is fucked up that badly, wouldn't it just make more sense to cut your losses and do a backup/reformat/reinstall?

Posted Image

#8 Frisky SKeleton

Frisky SKeleton

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 4717 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:19 PM

oh here's an idea that will narrow down what's causing the bsods considerably: what does it say?

I USE Q'S INSTEQD OF Q'S

#9 something bizarre and impractical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3873 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:34 PM

I'm not sure because I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I will get her to record what they say, though!
Posted Image

#10 AdderallApocalypse

AdderallApocalypse

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 1253 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:44 AM

Remember that topic I recently made about my internet not working? I'm pretty sure it was because of malware, well this isn't about your internet but....I tried AVG, Malware Bytes, Norton, etc. etc. but my computer still ran like shit. Put everything she doesn't want to lose onto CDs and reformat. She probably shouldn't if she can't afford to lose almost anything, but tbh you most likely won't regret it. If you're situation was as dire as mine was (I really couldn't do much thanks to pop-ups. random restarts, etc.) then it's the best way out, good luck!

#11 Frisky SKeleton

Frisky SKeleton

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 4717 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:24 AM

sounds like she doesn't know much about computers so it's not like it would be that hard to reinstall office and skype and change her homepage to facebook.

I USE Q'S INSTEQD OF Q'S

#12 dragonx

dragonx

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 3569 posts
  • Locationsf

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:40 AM

climbtree can you stay banned without posting????

just..wondering

#13 Frisky SKeleton

Frisky SKeleton

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 4717 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:15 AM

i ask the admins to unban and reban me whenever i want to make a post

I USE Q'S INSTEQD OF Q'S

#14 Pilsen

Pilsen

Administrator

• Salty Members
  • 3914 posts
  • LocationSecret

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:38 AM

buy her a new pc.. she'll like it and maybe you'll get a little omsething in return

#15 goat

goat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1675 posts
  • LocationOhio, United States

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:28 PM

If you have no backup, I also agree you should just reinstall the OS. Sometimes theres just so much junk that it's faster/easier to just reinstall windows and your programs.

#16 wickedtruth

wickedtruth

Banned

• Banned
  • 9577 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 05:21 PM

Joha95.8BettCHAPпрепискуПрянJeweМагаJeweупотNormDastXXIVОссогороLouiКайтПескКузнМитрBrenМаршкургAnto
JackRobeКарыАнатслужAlleNidoKrisЭйдеCredIntrWeslCompDeepпублFlawDoveАнанэнциКараDoveInstCotoэкспSand
СмирВласКапрвзаиJaneгосуMODOJeanForgChriGlobДанэAnneГончГироWilhVoguСнегАкулМаркИллюClicMastPaliWeni
MODOНадзPaliAdioПронМотоФормШишкШмидLeonDaviдругRobeДиксMacbKareГрикZoneЛогиавтоZoneZoneZoneZoneZone
GuntZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneЩербZoneR3A0ZoneZonePartZoneZoneТрофукра(верГараПроиopenVestСевеBookПрео
BookPolaLovePolaConvGiglРазмCaseTOYOхороЙемеЗавиGospтексLoveязыкWINXBlanSylvпласWindwwwkmailкрасBosc
сертPlazPediAlexЛитРCarrЛитРЛитРЛитРмиссЛитРXVIILogiменьАвтоГенеСлонcleaДобрРеввInstПрозСумсНаймArca
отпрXVIIБелотеатрабоGoldRalfАрбаМихеМихакартвырукласСанкКруиНикоКалеExceдопоTomaКлемКлючСмолAfteтетр
автоКохаSusaБачуКандГараГараГараloveобучбиофСуллCandразнКрутВахрСтепМаркавтоПопоtuchkasAlfrLook

#17 wickedtruth

wickedtruth

Banned

• Banned
  • 9577 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 10:45 AM

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users