33 replies to this topic

#1 the_hoodie

the_hoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1721 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:35 AM

So I've been listening to alot of Dredg and Mew lately and was wondering if there are any more good bands like them.

Also stuff like Fleet Foxes is pretty good. Mostly anything in that type of genre.

Thanks!

#2 Doktormartini

Doktormartini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 6191 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:40 AM

Go to lastfm and type in Dregd and see what it says for similar artists :)

#3 the_bub_from_the_pit

the_bub_from_the_pit

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 2141 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:45 AM

So like... indie folk, or?

Try andrew bird, bon iver, the dodos. Those are all in the same vein as Fleet Foxes so i'd check those out.

Isn't mew that really bad bland band?

#4 blood hell

blood hell

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 2959 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:20 AM

I dont know anything about that kind of music really but my favorite indie band is ambulance LTD. you'll probably like them. everyone does

#5 ase

ase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 7691 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:28 AM

I really like Mew. According to interviews with the band, their biggest influence was Dinosaur Jr. You should check them out if you haven't already.

#6 Shepperd

Shepperd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 10087 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:31 AM

Fleet Foxes?
get Grizzly Bear. Same thing except much better

Posted Image

#7 last life

last life

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:02 AM

Grizzly bear are pretty great:

Also I'm friends with the guy who made this video, hah.  He has the stone man suit in his living room.

#8 DS

DS

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 26236 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:10 AM

im gonna give you some REQs later but heads up that new dredg leaked so there's something for you to check out.
To Never Be Known Is The Worst Death

#9 ATARI

ATARI

Lichens!

• Salty Members
  • 21288 posts
  • LocationLichens, lichens

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:08 AM

ds can you mu link me i can't connect to what.cd for some reason today

#10 dom

dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2503 posts
  • Location~ PARAMORE ~

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:50 PM

I dont know anything about that kind of music really but my favorite indie band is ambulance LTD. you'll probably like them. everyone does

wow this is a really good rec dude might i also ad AC/DC, fantsastic band

Posted Image

#11 Artis Leon Ivey Jr

Artis Leon Ivey Jr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 20067 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:20 PM

that post reminded me of an experimental topic i wanted to make where all of gw listens to chinese democracy and each individual member tries to find ten legitimately good things about the album, not just "it came out" or whatever but I never did it because I never wanted to finish listening to the album.

but yeah this is yet another topic that is kind of oddly going all over the place. you guys have been making weird music recommendations again. I'm not sure how a Mew fan would like Dino Jr and why are we just THROWING INDIE BANDS out there?

what's weird is despite my dislike of the first two bands, I know this is a big genre for some people AND gw was huge into these bands and you can get real recommendations that LAST.FM or whatever won't pick up! so I'm kind of disappointed that it's one rec thread you guys in particular should be able to help him with and we're getting last.fm and focusing on some indie shit when DS refers to PURE REASON REVOLUTION like once a month and I know for a fact a lot of you are big nerds for this shit still.

fyi while checking for you

-pure reason revolution. ds et al used to love this fucking band when they were into Dredg stuff.
-I'm honestly just going to list DS bands now: Oceansize, Porcupine Tree, 3, Circa Survive was one wasn't it, anything by Steve Wilson.

if that doesn't keep you occupied for the first bit nothing will.

forget your fleet foxes rec though you didn't even try for that shit though. exert some effort man, just a little.

RECOMMEND ME A BAND *doesn't google anything*

this is both a bad and good topic in that by asking for two bands GW used to be obsessed with you are actually bound to get shit you never would have heard of but then you also just threw in "oh also here's like the most popular band of last year what's like them" and clearly didn't even try.

guys I like The Pharcyde and Blackstar, who's like this. also, I like Katy Perry anyone like that? please help.
brian chemicals

#12 rudy the red-beaked reindeer

rudy the red-beaked reindeer

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 6712 posts
  • Locationcrab nebula

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:55 PM

well he did say

Also stuff like Fleet Foxes is pretty good. Mostly anything in that type of genre.

sufjan stevens???

maybe actually try out yeasayer tho that's the closest req to ff I can think of.

#13 Artis Leon Ivey Jr

Artis Leon Ivey Jr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 20067 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:59 PM

man THAT GENRE though is huge. it is honestly like saying WHATS LIKE KATY PERRY? fleet foxes were the biggest indie band last year and as such they have so many imitators that I can't help but feel not disgenuity but I guess LAZINESS if someone can't honestly find shit that sounds like them with minimum effort.

this is admittedly a lot because I don't like Fleet Foxes AT ALL and think they sound generic as fuck.
brian chemicals

#14 dom

dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2503 posts
  • Location~ PARAMORE ~

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:02 PM

maybe actually try out yeasayer tho that's the closest req to ff I can think of.

aside from both being indie yeasayer are almost nothing like fleet foxes

Posted Image

#15 Barack Obama

Barack Obama

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 4725 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:32 PM

I don't care what kind of music you like. Wake up early, roll like 6 joints, and listen to the entire The Fall discography. That should take you all day

Posted Image

#16 dom

dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2503 posts
  • Location~ PARAMORE ~

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:48 PM

scoff

Posted Image

#17 rudy the red-beaked reindeer

rudy the red-beaked reindeer

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 6712 posts
  • Locationcrab nebula

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:13 PM

aside from both being indie yeasayer are almost nothing like fleet foxes

both boring indie bands pitchfork people love..

admittedly, I was thinking that one ff song that goes "the door slammed loud and rose up a cloud of dust on us" followed by unrelated gibberish was the one yeasayer song everyone liked.

#18 dom

dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2503 posts
  • Location~ PARAMORE ~

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:56 PM

yeasayer is good man

Posted Image

#19 Artis Leon Ivey Jr

Artis Leon Ivey Jr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 20067 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:06 PM

a lot of people i respect the opinion of NOT DOM THOUGH AHAHAHHAHA have said his but i've never been able to feel them at all!

its just hare krishna postrock to me half the time.
brian chemicals

#20 dom

dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2503 posts
  • Location~ PARAMORE ~

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:11 PM

would u rather listen to yeasayer or paramore...

what if they both formed a supergroup, maybe w/ jack white

sad taht u dont 'respect my opinion'. edited this post like 4 times. which one did u see?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users