• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mope

Mope

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 07:47 AM

Does anyone else find themselves missing the discussions and banter that used to be so prevalent around here? I used to get a lot out of that and I’m certain I wasn’t the only one, a way of pooling knowledge, experience, finding new interests and discussing things thatve might otherwise gone unsaid.

Found myself inadvertently joining a kind of group like that on Facebook a few years ago and it really reminded me of what I’d been missing. I felt encouraged to think externally, to get creative and entertain people. Even being encouraged and admired for doing so.

It really reminded me of what initially brought me here and all of the things it taught me.

Although it really wasn’t of the same caliber this place once was and I found myself being more of a clown and a lecturer than a student, it really brought something out in me that hadn’t been around in a long while.

I feel like there’s a lotta lost potential for that seeing as how web forums are kind of an archaic form of communication yet quite a few of the folks that originally frequented this place still check in from time to time.

Would anyone be interested in something like that? Maybe an affiliate Facebook group leaning towards general discussion that we could eventually introduce other people of a certain likeminded thoughtfulness into and kind of try to carry that torch in a way?

I figured that if it’s on a more modern media outlet like Facebook that most people use anyways members might be more inclined towards being active.

Just a thought really. It’s honestly kind of depressing seeing a bunch of people who were once all a community of brilliant, creative, thoughtful folks who helped one another basically grow up, laugh, and learn things they most definitely never would’ve otherwise; all fall by the wayside and slowly die out when at least I think this community deserves better than that.

#2 superflat

superflat

vice-chairman of marketing

• Salty Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 04:35 PM

i do. i don't know what the answer is though.

recently another forum i was a 15 year member of closed without me noticing and i was really sad at what was lost, ephemera around game projects released and unreleased, discussions that lead to design decisions etc. i'm glad tigsource is still going, i was thinking recently i might make more of an effort. twitter can be tiring for these kinds of discussions, facebook is pretty much toxic these days imho.

#3 rudy the red-beaked reindeer

rudy the red-beaked reindeer

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 6693 posts
  • Locationcrab nebula

Posted 21 June 2021 - 12:19 AM

Yeah I do miss that, as well as the recommendations and general talk about music, games, movies etc. I mean that's exactly a forum. it's like a utopia, a community of people creating and showing each other cool things. I also miss the people, like thecatamites, cboyardee, dietcoke. I don't think that can be revived, but if it could I do like the forum style setup a lot, and I think it has a lot of advantages over facebook, reddit etc despite being dated

#4 chaos_baby

chaos_baby

A mysterious baby cloaked in shadow, with shining red eyes.

• Salty Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 June 2021 - 11:31 PM

thecatamites still actively participates in forums. Just not this one anymore.

The select button forums and insert credit forums (not sure why they're separate sites now) are where I get my nonpoisonous media discussion these days. Many propitious threads see regular updates. I sure wish our dump thread could be copied over there because then it would get attention from more than a handful of people.

#5 rudy the red-beaked reindeer

rudy the red-beaked reindeer

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 6693 posts
  • Locationcrab nebula

Posted 22 June 2021 - 01:26 AM

I'd be all for migrating damp thread to another forum if there's a good one. every time I check SB I get bored and frustrated trying to find something interesting. seems like they like death stranding, which is a bad sign bc it's so stupid it genuinely ruined my mood for like a week with how fucking abysmally dumb it is, just dumb as a goddamn fucking bag of rocks, really really stupid shit. maybe enjoyable to like a hardcore kojima connoisseur like mmm take a deep whiff of the purest kojima spew, scholar of the secret kojima language u only learn after spending 2000 hours playing kojima games, but that's really reaching and it's a major effort to blow past how uninteresting this is to type it out but once again I appreciate you reading this far, you're genuinely too kind and I do appreciate it. I'm loving reading the salty True detective season 3 thread so far tho, that does remind me a little of the golden age of saltw.

#6 chaos_baby

chaos_baby

• Salty Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 03:30 AM

Oh they love it when people have funny and articulate dissenting opinions. That post would go over great there. The userbase only appears unanimous if you look at the threads for a single game; everyone who doesn't like the game will just ignore the thread. And since we're on the subject I've even read SB people directly criticize Kojima and call him a hack, without anyone feeling attacked and sticking up for their beloved Kojima-sensei, as would doubtlessly happen in plenty of games discussion spaces.

BUT I know exactly what you mean about trying to find something interesting because a lot of the threads are just total mundanities. e.g. Star Wars talk. It was sort of unpleasant to reread my last post and realize that passively going over those mundanities is literally what I consider "nonpoisonous media discussion". That's how I get my entertainment news. I probably shouldn't recommend forums on the basis of my own total disconnection from reality. :dopefish:

To all those reading this, I think these threads are pretty fun afternoon reading:

https://selectbutton...thing-from/1816
https://selectbutton...videogames/1408
https://selectbutton...-mechanics/3393
https://selectbutton...-comm-tuum/7568 - thecatamites reviews romantic comedies
https://selectbutton...e-timeline/5519 - thecatamites talks about the archie series
https://selectbutton...f-posters/go/12 - this entire subforum is good if you like collecting recurring images throughout the history of games
https://selectbutton...ash-action/9962
https://selectbutton...bout-a-lot/8689

...but if they're not your kind of thing, I maintain no responsibility. You didn't even hear my name, got it?

Overall, they have a diverse enthusiastic userbase so they're at their best when they're working together to gather examples of interesting things from a wide array of games. If you ask them for recommendations, they're fantastic. They're at their worst when you read the threads about a single game, where everyone will agree circuitously. Or ask for help with a frustrating section.

While there is certainly no better home for d*mptop than this one, seeing as it's such a salt world thing through and through, I do wish I knew some way to bring eyes here... 300 pages of screenshots, text and video devoted to experiences that otherwise go unexplored - it's like a grand unexcavated mausoleum of the gaming artform.

#7 chaos_baby

chaos_baby

• Salty Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 03:32 AM

Probably not the thread for it, but what did you think was the dumbest part of Death Stranding? I haven't played it, but I like to read about it, because whatever it does seems to make people feel pretty strongly.

#8 Mope

Mope

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 04:22 AM

Well yeah, that’s true. I always liked the forum outline of this community much more than the other forms of social media. And I always wondered if maybe what this community was in it’s heyday could be kind of brought back in a different way if the forum had a more active caretaker and was geared towards general discussion and other media in general.

I got stuck in kind of a weird position in being here in the first place. I was never into rm2k or gamemaking whatsoever. I had a couple highschool friends who were and they would show me these discussions or running joke/gag topics that I got enamored with and just thought were hilarious.

I originally just signed up here so I could read more of it and laugh but the more I read the more engaged I got.

I found a level of intelligence and the kind of humor/discussions I was severely lacking in life. Most of the people I knew from highs school or just in life in general we’re far less thoughtful, far less articulate and I got that out of this place.

And I learned a lot, so much. I think that in a way this place saved me or at least gave me what I was sorely missing.

Ever since this place kind of died I’ve just been roaming around Facebook. Sometimes I’ll get caught in a debate or a discussion or just crack jokes to make myself laugh but yes it is very toxic or at least people on a media outlet like tinder aren’t the kind up for thoughtful discourse.

I even thought about offering to invest in turning this space around into something active if that’s even possible.

I’ve read through Reddit forums and things like that too but they just seem so massive and overwhelming.

What I liked about this forum is it’s a bit smaller of a community. If I’m reading through a topic on something I can read it all in it’s entirety. You can get to know the members on a more personal level so it’s a lot easier to get a feel for who someone is and who you’re talking to. A certain level of trust in that because these members build up a repertoire over time.

I think a personality like steel could probably do that and have the aspiration to do it. Figure out a new way to repackage the community and make it more active and less than a kind of outdated niche/fringe group.

Not that I find anything wrong with indie game development or things like Ragnars dump topic. I like that too and think it’s charming and has it’s own appeal in itself but at the same time this place is stagnant. I think it deserves better and IDK if it just had a more general kind of focus and that special bland of thoughtful discussion and articulate humor, with a little advertising it could see some new life and be better (for people like us at least) than places like Reddit or Twitter.

#9 Mope

Mope

Advanced Member

• Salty Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 04:40 AM

Dude I don’t give a shit if this turns into a 15 page death stranding discussion either. That’s what I really like about this place, you start a topic talking about one thing and then someone else bumps in about something wholly off topic and it just goes on and on.

It’s the discussion and thought that entertains me.

I personally never even bothered giving that noxious pile of shit a ten minute Redbox rental because to me it just looked like a high def version of an “another life’s” player’s bizarre dystopian baby/S&M fetish role play run than an actual narratively engaging hideo kojima game worth playing

As far as I’m concerned that dude fell off the wagon after the 3rd or 4th metal gear game and everything else has just been manifestations of his fucking schizophrenia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users